David J. West, dynamic author of Heroes of the Fallen, tagged me with these fantastic questions. To continue the chain, I'm tagging three awesome writers I am just getting to know: Krista Lynne Jensen, L.T. Elliot, and L.A. DeVaul.
1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
This past weekend I rewrote a lot of Olivia's thoughts and lines. My editor is a genius and knew what needed to happen to help her become much more consistent. The first thing I wrote? That I still have? Sheesh. I haven't kept anything. I have some great PR campaigns I wrote up in college that are on my computer...
2. Write poetry?
Umm, I wrote lyrics then composed and recorded a song I dedicated to my husband--it rhymes in parts, does that count?
3. Angsty poetry?
Nope, the song was an anniversary gift, so I veered away from those angst-like feelings. ;)
4. Favorite genre of writing?
Suspense! Anything that puts me on the edge of my seat!
5. Most annoying character you've ever created?
There's this girl Olivia meets in The Ethos (working title only) who sways back and forth when she talks, and includes unimportant details. I roll my eyes every time I read her annoying dialogue.
6. Best Plot you've ever created?
Olivia's plot. You'll just have to wait and see. :)
7. Coolest Plot twist you've ever created?
I have a few I adore in Olivia's story, but my short story, A Sudden Resolve (published in Stolen Christmas), has a twist that is truly killer.
8. How often do you get writer's block?
Um, I'm with David. I don't deal with writer's block as much as laziness.
9. Write fan fiction?
Nope.
10. Do you type or write by hand?
I always type unless a computer isn't handy.
11. Do you save everything you write?
Well, yeah!
12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
Yes, but usually the original idea still doesn't work, but a little tweaking makes it brand new.
13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
Olivia's story, working title The Ethos.
14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?
Hmm, too new at this. Ya'all will have to let me know.
15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
Romance? Heck yeah!! All my stuff has tons of it.
16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?
Ooo! Ooo! See last post! The Lincoln Memorial!
17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
1. Rewrites for The Ethos. First draft for novel based on A Sudden Resolve.
18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
Never.
19. What are your five favorite words?
Scivvies, mangled, tortuous, ravaged, and drooled.
20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?
Olivia, but we're changing that.
21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
People in my ward heightened to an eccentricity. A life guard. BBC's Daniel Deronda, longtime friends, and bits of Ed Harris and Jennifer Garner.
22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
One scene from The Ethos came from a rockin' dream I had.
23. Do you favor happy endings?
Umm. Yeah... maybe no. I don't know. A brilliant sad ending can be SO cathartic.
24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Yes. Wish I wasn't.
25. Does music help you write?
Very much so. Brother's, sister's, and husband's music are the reason why my works exist.
26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head.
Um. I don't think I'm allowed to quote from either of my contracted works. So I'll share my lyrics to the song I wrote for Adam. :)
Plaster of Paris
Drastic measures don't mean so much
Last ditch efforts of a fool
Drastic measures, only a crutch
I'm cemented in love's jewel
Chorus: Plaster of paris, plaster of paris, plaster of paris
you hold to me
Plaster of paris, plaster of paris, plaster of paris
so white, serene
Lavished romance, facade display
Tarnished emblems of a drone
Lavished romance, some will betray
I contest with loyalty's stone
Chorus
Plastic gestures may be a tool
for a schmuck without intent
Plastic gestures, misguided rule
Plaster's there without resent
Chorus X2
Drastic measures don't mean so much
I'm cemented in love's jewel
---------------------------------------------
I tried to find a way to post the song... we'll see how ingenious my husband really is.
Scivvies, mangled, tortuous, ravaged, and drooled.
ReplyDeleteThis made me LOL. You don't look the type. :)
hehehe. I guess I have a bit of a flair for the drama. :)
ReplyDeleteregarding 18. You were selected out of a christmas story contest to have YOUR story published-so you kind of won an award in quality.
ReplyDeleteHa. I like it. You just used the word 'quality' in reference to my work...
ReplyDeleteI borrowed it from Faramir-well thats what was in my head-"A chance to show his quality"
ReplyDeleteWhat is the scary sharing moment? Just the fact that you are sharing? I get scared by that.
ReplyDeleteI mean I get scared by sharing time in front of the kindergarten class. Gosh I hated elementary school.
ReplyDeletelol. L, you are hilarious! Well, when I wrote the title, I was uploading the song... but it never worked, but it was still scary sharing the lyrics.
ReplyDeleteI loved this. Thanks for sharing scarily! Took your challenge. I really can't wait to have a look at your book. All this secrecy and teasers are working!
ReplyDeleteThanks for tagging me, Mary! I loved your answers. How on earth am I going to answer my own?!
ReplyDeleteI love that you like the word drooled. :-)
ReplyDeleteI also watched The Way We Live Now and Daniel Deronda on your recommendation and I really liked them both! I love those kinds of movies/mini series!
Krista, I shall definitely look at your answers! L.T., you best get busy. ;)
ReplyDeleteNicole!! You finally made it on my blog!! I'm glad you liked those movies! I actually stayed up til 2 am yesterday watching another BBC specialty, Buccaneers. It's steamier than some of their other stuff but absolutely loved it.
I am so excited for your book to come out, I just still can't believe it, it really is SO awesome! I'm going to send you my copy so you can sign it! We miss you guys, hope you're all doing well.
ReplyDeleteWe miss you guys!!! Thanks for the note you sent... we will need to keep in touch!!
ReplyDelete