Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rebellion


INSIGHTS INTO A NOT TOO DISTANT CHILDHOOD

"Mary, what are you doing?"

I slammed my book shut, flinging it behind me before my *authority figure entered my bedroom.

"Oh, hi, *AF. Just resting a bit."

My AF searched my face, then seemed to internally shrug. "Let's get to work." And *AF spun without further explanation, for such words spoken by said *AF needed zero clarification. There were two facts in this household, and neither would ever be challenged:

#1 Work is the principle to be learned in said household and the establishment and habits of work shall be gained while straining one's body in the esteemed outdoors. Activities include picking nails, chopping stumps, picking morning glory, and if lucky, mowing the five acre lawn. Cleaning out barns and trapping rodents is highly favored.

#2 All activities submit to #1. Homework is secondary. Time wasted on fiction will not be tolerated--rebellious subjects will be immediately sent outdoors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, I am James Dean's eternal nemesis, for let it be known, I am a rebel with a cause!

*AF label is used to protect the not so innocent

6 comments:

  1. I have known families like this, where reading is seen as a waste of time. But now you're the adult and you can read all you want, and encourage your kids to read, and probably all they will want to do is go outdoors and pull nails out of old boards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came from a dual family of work and reading. Dad loves reading. Mom loves working. Needless to say, I picked up on dad's habits and very few of mom's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Karen. At least my son is quite obsessed with books. :)

    L.T., I'll bet your folks made for a well rounded team. Either that or could never agree on how to spend their free time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about this post a lot because there needs to be a happy meduim a balance. My Daddy was the hardest worker I know (John too)and expected us to be right there with him. But he also always had 2 things on his person at all times(except Sundays); a small tool belt and a Zane Gray book in his back pocket. I know ZG is not intellectual reading but my point is reading and work are at equal importance.
    My other thought is being a good reader is not the same as loving to read. EX. I like to read but I would not say I am a great reader. Now Kate is a fantastic reader but does not like to read for enjoyment. So again we are all different and we just except those things in life that we can't change. I feel sad that you felt that you had to hide your love for reading. Embrace your love now and move forward like you are doing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the thoughtful comment, Delilas. I think you are right--balance is the key. And, boy, do I need to learn it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. add "Picking Rocks" and "pruning raspberries" and you've got my childhood.

    ReplyDelete