Sunday, March 21, 2010

Audience Shmaudience

Do you need an audience to write? If you knew every single person in the world hated what you wrote, would you still write?

I think I would.

13 comments:

  1. absolutely! It would just be while I shamefully hid in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I DO need an audience, so I have mine in mind before I even start a project. It may just be an audience of one or two, but still...it helps me focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need at least one other person to like it, I think. This is a good question to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very honest, Karen and Aubrie. But Karen, you've written in your journal all these years without an audience...but I'm sure you're referring to fiction.

    I'm just realizing that out of the whole process, I think I like the writing the best. It calms my sometimes silly and troubled mind. Of course, I still haven't seen my book in print yet but I AM nervous about negative reviews. That's when I think, "hey, I should just cut myself off from the rest of the world and just write cuz I love it." But then it IS rewarding when someone else appreciates your story. I just had to ask myself this question cuz I have a few people reading a story and I get impatient to hear back and I think "If they hate it will I be sad that I wrote it?" No. I would've written it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would continue to write!
    I really do it for myself. I have to get this stuff out of my head, and my voice is kind of nasal, so I write!!
    made me think....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, I would.

    I would be bordering on insane unless I got the voices out of my head and onto the page :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh right, I thought you were referring to fiction. Journal writing--no, never do I think of an audience for that. Those are my psychiatric counseling sessions, I don't even count it as writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm. Do I? Honestly, the initial draft, NO. I'm just in the zone, or looking for the zone, loving getting the story OUT.
    But when I'm editing, yeah, I'm keeping my audience in mind. I read that editing is like expressing love for your audience, or something like that. I do it for the story, and I do it for the reader.
    But I'd never stop writing just because there was nobody to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be painful to know that nobody liked anything I wrote. I'd probably give up. Even though I love it, I hope to have something worth saying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would write for myself as I do now. I have never and probably will never let anyone see what I write. So if I wrote for the public and everyone started to detest my work, then I would NEVER publish again. Lol, in this matter I am a total coward!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your honest answers, Krista, Theresa, and Avalon. So now I'm going to post again...

    ReplyDelete