Today we have author Aubrie Dionne with us, author of the book I just reviewed, Nebula's Music. Aubrie is both an incredible musician and writer. She has written and published numerous short stories, two novels, and is currently writing another space opera (how cool is that genre's name??). She will also be querying literary agents very soon for her next book, Desert Nomad.I'd love it if you could tell us about your writing journey. How long have you been writing, and what got you interested in the first place?
I've been writing my entire life. My first book was about a flutist that travels back in time and impresses the court with her playing. She joins a band of minstrels and falls in love with the prince. I wrote it all throughout high school. It was awful, and I'm glad I got it out of my system! Later on, I would come up with stories to go with the music when I taught flute. My students loved the stories so much that they asked me to publish them, and here I am today!
Why epublishing? What do you have to tell us about your experience writing ebooks?
I especially loved how your writing was grounded with strong verbs. You mentioned before that you've learned to write without adverbs, and I completely agree! Well done! I saw on your blog you have Nebula's Music and Dreams of Beauty. These are considered novellas, correct? Since they're shorter novels?
Aries is a Lifer: a sixth generation colonist living aboard the Ark , a deep space transport vessel destined for a paradise planet two hundred years away. Her purpose is to maintain the life support systems and marry Lieutenant Barliss, producing two genetically superior children to take their place at the helm.
Stifled with a predestined existence determined by computer calculations, Aries manipulates an escape months before her marriage ceremony to Barliss. Her flight pod crashes on a desert planet with minimal survival conditions and she is caught between the search and rescue teams of the Ark and the primitive hunters on the alien world. While struggling to survive, she is rescued by Striker, a space pirate exiled by his mutinous crew. Together they search for the last relic needed to revive an ancient alien craft, their only means of escape. With the search teams flying above and the hunters stalking them below, Aries is forced to make the ultimate sacrifice; her freedom for Striker’s life. Striker must bargain with the same pirates that exiled him in order to rescue her.
I'm about half way through and loving it!
I especially like your first two sentences. It pulled me right in. Do you have any final comments before we end the interview?? You've been so great!!
You are so welcome, Aubrie. Thanks for answering my questions!
Love Aubrie. Thanks for the great interview. Always nice to learn more about great writers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading it, Karen! Her hard work is an inspiration to me.
ReplyDeleteGreat interview, Mary. I loved that Aubrie said all of her characters have a piece of her in them. That's just how I feel.
ReplyDeleteGreat interview. Thanks to you both for this. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat interview Mary, I like the sound of Desert Nomad.
ReplyDeleteThanks for interviewing me, Mary :) Your turn next when your new release comes out.
ReplyDeleteAubrie, you sure are prolific! Good luck with your newest novel. I'm impressed with the worlds that science-fiction writers create. It's great that you'll be ready when the publishing contract comes.
ReplyDeleteNice interview. Thanks for posting it!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. It's nice to learn more about writers. Thank you both.
ReplyDeleteGreat interview--I am so intrigued now!
ReplyDelete