Eleven months ago I submitted The Ethos to WiDo Publishing. I was excited to submit to them--they were a new company willing to work with new talent. I knew I was green in the field of writing and was willing to do whatever it took to learn. WiDo, apparently, was wiling to work with a writer to make their manuscript shine even if it wasn't perfect.
Well, five days later, WiDo asked for my full manuscript! I had sent only the first three chapters, but they were intrigued! So I printed off my first full manuscript--what a ream of paper! I then sent it the very next day and crossed my fingers and waited.
Well, 2 1/2 weeks later I received an exciting and humbling email. The acquistions editor, Allie, told me they all agreed my manuscript was worth accepting, but that it needed a lot of work. I ran out to my husband, told him the great news, but also wilted knowing a lot of my work sucked!
But it was the FIRST story I'd ever written. And I'd never taken a writing class apart from my core english classes at BYU or my communications classes for my degree in Public Relations.
The biggest complaint for my manuscript was that it "wandered in floundered." Ouch. So I bought plot books and got to work before hearing from my first editor. By the time I heard from the wonderful Billy, I'd cut, and slashed and had a new work. But I still wasn't certain the plot was right. When he introduced himself, I told him about the draft. He told me to send it. After reading it, he said he thought it flowed better than the first, but that he missed the ending of the other one, so he said "combine the two, and we'll be in business."
So I did. I worked, and worked, and threatened my neighbors for their parties after midnight, and worked some more. Then I sent him my third draft and he told me my protagonist was weak.
!!!!!
I was completely clueless as to why. So then Billy asked a female editor to look at my manuscript, and she found my problem. I joke that Billy was my Ethos, builder editor. Well, Liesel is the Logos. She finds everything wrong with my manuscript, line by line and with great logic. While Billy was the hollistic thinker, Liesel is great with the details.
Well, I just finished with my rewrites with--I think--my fifth draft (to them--my eighth in total).
But what have I learned?
1. My characters were nodding, smiling, tilting their heads a lot. There are a place for those mannerisms, but new ones sure make a MS stronger.
2. Adverbs. I had WAY too many in my first draft. Still cutting them back.
3. Awkward, weird phrases. I don't know what I was smoking to have written jargon even I barely understood. Liesel has been kind enough to point out those lines--in red. :)
4. Description. I was so hung up on the Alexiou mansion--I wanted to describe every room in detail, like a TV interior design show. I knew I wasn't good at setting, so I found pictures I liked, then described them. And described them. And described them. Liesel's helped me cut those back.
So now I need to print this new sucker out and mail it off to my brilliant editor. We're making it stronger--so that it is pleasant to read. I'll let you know what I get to fix next. :)
What a fun year for you! I loved hearing this process and am excited for your success. Way to go! It will be fun to see it this winter. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I really enjoyed reading about your submission process and how the edits are going. I'm so glad you found a publisher willing to work with you.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! And great attitude: "get to fix."
ReplyDeleteThanks MT! It has been quite the road!
ReplyDeleteKate, glad it didn't bore you. I'm glad I found them too. Though, Kristine, head editor for WiDo, just posted that they're getting pickier. It's a good thing I submitted when I did!
ReplyDeleteCaroline. Not always, but I try!
i love reading about your journey!! yes that's cheesy, but it's so exciting to get the background scoop --like i'm backstage meeting the band after a concert! :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Mary, and an inspiring read. Plus your attitude is awesome. You can't help but be a success with that positive, grateful and humble attitude. I just read Kristine's new post, where she wrote about the "p" words necessary for a writer's success, and personality is one of them. Your attitude shows great author personality!
ReplyDeleteWow! What an exciting process! So cool to have an editor working with you, though. Although I'm sure it stings to get the criticism, you know they're only working to make things stronger. It's like having editors for CPs.
ReplyDeleteWay to hang in there and work with the editors! I can't wait to read your book! Thanks for sharing pieces and parts of your process. Your #s 1-4 sound a lot like mine. How does the reader know they're smiling and nodding if we don't tell them?!! Ha ha. (M. smiles and nods.)
ReplyDeleteCongrtas on surviving such a thrilling year and flourishing as a writer. You should be totally proud of your work.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I am very happy for you. Was it hard for you to make the changes? I have always heard that the editor ask authors to change things that they do not really want to change and when they change them, they are unhappy with their work. I hope this is not your case. I hope you are happy and that your work sales and sales!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Mary! When your publisher sees how hard you've worked on the book they are bound to be impressed! I'm happy for you!:0)
ReplyDeleteThis was a fascinating post, Mary. You know what I like about it best? That you keep going and keep getting better. I'm so proud of you. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteNicole, haha, you make me feel like a celebrity. :)
ReplyDeleteKaren. *blushes* Glad you don't find me a nag or a bore.
Carolina, it really is. I cannot say how thankful I am to have their help.
Krista, *nods, nods, nods* Glad I'm not the only one!!!!
sarahjayne, at times I am, but not always. I guess that's what helps us to become better.
Avalon, YES. At times, very hard. But I found the harder they were to make the more they needed to change. Like the time Billy said my protagonist needed a personality overhaul, I wanted to shoot him, but I eventually came around. And Liesel helped me see why. I hope it sells, too. I can only do my best.
Kathi, I hope so. I'm especially excited about this draft.
LT, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's a neverending process of learning, eh?
I'm so excited to buy your book and read it! I had a lot of adverbs in my first book as well. And my characters looked at everything all the time.
ReplyDeleteIt's great how much you've grown and learned.
Mary, thank you for sharing this with other struggling writers. This is really what writing is all about. It isn't easy. But you haven't given up through all the drafts where some might have. You are creative, intelligent, and tenacious, and passionate about writing and books. I am anxious to read the finished product!! Your friend, Ann
ReplyDeleteI still have so much to learn. I can't wait until I'm as close as you are. Good luck with the newest draft. I look forward to reading your book.
ReplyDeleteThat's what writing is all about - rewriting. Someone, I think Mark Twain, said [paraphrasing] the real work doesn't begin until you start the edits.
ReplyDeleteAubrie, that's funny your characters looked at everything all the time. Mine always hear things. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words, Ann. Definitely passionate--not sure about the other things!
Kim, you can soo get there. I'm not far "ahead" of you. So much can happen if we just put in the time every day, every week.
Carol, YES. The true fun for me is the rough draft, and the serious work is the edits. But I STILL have fun with the edits... it is harder though.
Thanks for sharing your manuscript story, and what you've learned. Your manuscript couldn't have been that bad if you had someone ask you to fix it and still want to publish the book!
ReplyDelete