Friday, May 28, 2010

A Time to Barter

Brace yourselves.

My obsession with David Farland didn't end with the Storymakers Conference. In fact, it's now stretched ridiculously beyond. No, I didn't plaster my bedroom walls with his picture, or send truckloads of fan mail. My husband wouldn't be cool with that. But I am doing something equally as extreme. Ready? 'kay. I'll spill the beans.

I am attending David Farland's Professional Novel Writers' Workshop in Dallas this July. In case you don't know anything about it, let me explain. It takes some cash. And, it's six days long. And the purpose of the workshop is to focus on your novel with only fifteen other peers.

The good news is my round trip flight was $250 bucks. Direct. Boo-yeah! Also, my family lives nearby. No hotel fee this time.

But why oh why would I be superflous enough to do this? Again? I just went to a writers' conference. Is my sole motivation in life to ditch my fam?

NO. It's not. Though, I do love hearing how my husband handles the kids. In fact, he's taking them home to Portland. I'm glad...multipersonalitied jealous. See I have the most fabulous in-laws anyone could ever get. This is when I wish there were two of me: one in Dallas, the other in Portland. Not to mention how much I'll miss my husband and kids...

But why oh why would Grayman support such a trip? I haven't sold a book yet, he brings home all the dough, and I'll be gone a week. What about the kids??

Not only can I write characters with super powers, but I have some of my own. And we all have the gift for persuasion. I just wouldn't call my power Ethos, Logos, or Pathos. Kairos--the power regarding timing. I would call it that.

But I don't believe I will ever tell you what I bartered. Just know it is utterly bizarre. And now Grayman and I are both content.

Can I just tell you I love the opportunities writing presents? Next, I will reveal what I must do to prepare.

12 comments:

  1. That's a great price for a ticket! You'll have to tell us all about it.

    You're lucky to have such a supportive husband. :) But he's lucky to have you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so proud of you. =) you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! I wish I was going with you! We'll have to plan something like that in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - your hubbie is awesome and your so lucky to be able to go. I think David Farland is so cool too. I'm already attending a week long conference in June and it's going to be so hard to figure out childcare - so great that you worked it out. Now I really want to know what you bartered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like David, also delighted b/c I know! Six days??? I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. David, Tamara, shhh!

    Aubrie, I know, I know!

    Jen, AJ and I are more alike than I ever realized. :)

    Cam, we are only as amazing as our greatest supporters. Hmm. I think I made that up. I rather like it.

    Melissa, me too! I wish you could come!

    Mary, what conference are you attending?? Yes, I'm so stoked he's supporting this. He's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I want to go to that too! That sounds amazing! And how cool that your husband supports you so much :) I love all the opportiunities writing brings too, like meeting cool new people in the blogosphere :) Thanks for coming by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystal, thanks for the enthusiasm. I'm totally stoked!!

    Thanks for coming back to mine. Your blog is cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heavens. *somebody's jealous*
    I'm just aching to go to one of those. Good luck, and please tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you could come, too. It would be much more fun with a familiar face.

    ReplyDelete