Sunday, June 13, 2010

500 Days of Summer

I've had my eye on this movie for a long time, but didn't actually watch it until Friday night. The fact that it's Sunday and I'm still thinking about it proves it was a great flick. Hysterical--and I don't usually read/write comedy.

The producer put in this over-the-top narrator, with the big, booming voice. Voice-overs are a terrible idea--unless you KNOW it's supposed to be bad. I loved this reversal.

There was also this part when the hero is finally in a relationship with Summer where he dances on the street and I was literally crying, it was so funny. This movie embraces the absurd, but in a delightful way.

The writing wasn't predictable, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel made an incredible pair.

I plan to watch this one again. I wish I had seen it when I was single--it has a message not often repeated.

14 comments:

  1. friends have been telling me to watch this movie as well. I have not got around to it yet. :-) But now I feel like I really need to invest some time and just do it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this movie!!!! And the ending is so much better than all those lame generic romantic comedies. I saw an interview with Zooey Deschanel about this movie, and she said the film makers wanted to make sure and let everyone know that this wasn't a "love story" - it was a "story about love." Perfect. Great soundtrack, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it, but sounds like I should! I need a good laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so adding this one to my netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, yes, listen to your friends.

    KM, I loved the music on this, too! Not stereotypical. I thought the ending wasn't as great as the journey, but I did appreciate that it didn't have the cheesy cliche ending of most chick flicks.

    Aubrie, Tamara, let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen and I LOVE movies. We watched a British film last night, not a comedy though, which is Jen's favorite genre. But it was awesome. Actually it was a Masterpiece Theatre film based on the book called Goodnight Mister Tom; took place in England during World War II. But this comedy sounds great. I'll see if we can get it through Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I soooo want to watch this movie!! I will now! But shoot. It's Sunday. We normally reserve movies for Fridays and Saturdays and sometimes Tuesday (I know, weird, right?) Hmmm, maybe next Thursday then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I love a good Brittish flick. I'm glad you and Jen enjoyed a nice one.

    Carolina, you're oh so organized in your movie watching. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hesitant about watching this movie. I had my doubts. My doubts were expelled quickly. It was a movie worth watchin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds vaguely Arrested Developmentish, with the voice-overs and stuff. I'll definitely have to watch for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had forgotten that I thought this movie sounded good. Thanks for the reminder, I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good, will have to order it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent movie. But under the hilarity was a poignant and realistic look at relationships and the psychology of falling in love. Really enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dance scene is SO adorable and swoon-worthy and... just magic!

    For anyone who wants to see it: #1 reason to love Joseph Gordon Levitt

    ReplyDelete