Thursday, June 10, 2010

An Emotional Response

In STORY by Robert McKee, he explains what we must do to create an emotional response in the reader through our works. He lists three things:

1) The character must WANT something

2) We must empathize with the character

3) There must be a reversal of a value--justice to injustice, bondage to freedom, hate to love, the values are endless.

I have been thinking about this all week. In the past I've wondered "How can I resonate with the audience?" McKee explained it. In three little steps.

Think of your favorite (or least favorite!) work you've recently enjoyed. How did they accomplish these things? How did they not? Share, please share. I just watched Love Happens. Terrible movie. I didn't empathize with the characters at all.

11 comments:

  1. I think that's why I love Jane Eyre SO MUCH. Charlotte Bronte did exactly those 3 things with her characters. Just talking about that book makes me want to read it again for the millionth time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mary. I just posted a blog, finally after a week. Several people had asked me if I was going to do a Columbine review. I just did, an informal one (I'm not really a reviewer). It's non-fiction, investigative journalism, but it has all the elements of an awesome work of fiction. Stunning. Mesmerizing. What did Eric Harris WANT? He wanted to kill. Love to hate (if there was any love to start with since he was truly a psychopath, but maybe....) And wow! Did I ever empathize with the "characters."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francine River's book, An Echo in the Darkness has a protagonist that does this. Hadassah will always stay in my mind as a strong heroine. She wanted something. She had my empathy and in the end she won. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I have been pondering the most the last couple weeks-WHAT IT IS that I like so much about particular stories and how I can transfer what I like to my novels.

    Mostly its been with movies-trying to think about two I like but why do I like this one more than that one?

    Both A and B have colorful, entertaining, characters that we want to see succeed, both have villains we want to see get whats coming to them, both have reversals galore and happy endings
    -BUT
    I found that I like (A) better, because it was a little more chaotic and had real danger for the characters rather than the tease and reveal that the characters in movie B were in control the whole time. Once I realized that the protag's had control over everything-yes I applauded their cunning but that they weren't really in danger came off as a tease and looking back the story doesn't give me the same emotional response.

    Hope that made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, I always liked the movie. I really need to read that book.

    Ann, I'll check out your critique. I love psychopath characters--maybe cuz I am so guilt ridden (even with mundane things) that it's nice to find the stark opposite.

    Kathi, I haven't heard of An Echo in the Darkness. Good to know! Thanks!

    David, that's cool we're on the same page. I like your explanation for why you liked (A) better. False danger doesn't allow the character to really fight and show what they're made of. I noticed on Goodreads you've been reading a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think #2 is the hardest for me to gauge. How can we know if our audience cares about our characters?

    In my WIP there's one MC that my mom hates but my beta reader loves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha--i know, Aubrie!! For me, too. I think the most important thing is to try to get your targeted demographic for that particular chararcter to empathize. Hard to accomplish, I know. And everyone's different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great point. I'm struggling with this issue right now. I think I have them but I need to make them more obvious.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent pointers. It is essential that we resonate with the readers or they'll stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you wrote on your blog, too, Lydia. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    Elana, I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to see how simple what writers need to do to create a connection can be broken down. Recently, I read a book that didn't deliver on #2. And #3 was so disappointing. It showed me what NOT to do.

    ReplyDelete