What did I love about this book?1. The cover. Mind-blowing, isn't it?
2. Fitzpatrick's skill at weaving a story slowly, building the suspense. The protagonist, Nora, doesn't learn her love interest, Patch's, identity until nearly the end. I'm impressed the author kept my interest that long. Then she skillfully weaved in some flashbacks, but not until I was absolutely deperate to know them.
3. The best friend, Vee. Hilarious.
What didn't work for me?
1. I wasn't absolutely in love with the protagonist. She seemed a bit--dare I say it--bland to me. And I'm not one who needs the protag to spew sassy, clever line, after clever line (although I did get used to that with Evie in Paranormalcy). I just couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why Patch fell for her. Her strengths and her weaknesses weren't all that evident to me. She wasn't all that memorable. I even had to look up her name after finishing it one minute ago! Sad, sad, sad! Yet I like the name, Nora. Maybe I didn't see it written enough?
2. I also didn't fall in love with the sentences of this book. Maybe I wanted a greater feeling of foreboding, something different with the word choice. Or maybe I wanted something more clever. I didn't find either.
My opinion?
I still really enjoyed this. A clean read with an intriguing story, and my favorite genre--paranormal YA. So pick it up if you're into this type of book, if anything to see Fitzpatrick's skill at stretching the tension.
I also think the cover is awesome!
ReplyDeleteAnd I enjoy reading your reviews. You are a perceptive reader, which translates into a balanced review!
Good review. I haven't read this yet, but the cover has taken my breath away every time I see it. I'll put it on my ever-growing list.
ReplyDeleteI just can't get behind the new angel craze. It's super weird for me. Isn't a fallen angel a...demon? haha Maybe I should give one a chance, though...
ReplyDeleteGood, honest review!!
I read half of this, then had to return it to the library, but I had very similar feelings. That and I'm not hot on the angels, either. I get tired of so many of them being "fallen." I don't know.
ReplyDelete