Saturday, January 8, 2011

Review: PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles

Okay, this book was incredible. From the prose of the writer, to the pacing, to the characters, to the world building—I couldn’t be more impressed by this author.

She tells the story in multiple first person present tense POV, by both of the love interests. The male POV, Alex’s, was so believable I thought the writer was a man and previously affiliated with a gang (Alex is in a Latino gang called The Blood). Brittany’s POV felt authentic as well. The POVs were so different it nearly felt like two different people had written the book, but cohesive somehow. They balanced each other beautifully.

I breezed through the book when I thought it would take me several days. The tension was real without feeling overly dramatic, and the sweet parts especially sweet.

This was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me—waiting before getting married was definitely not a message of this book. A fair amount of language too. But if I were to name a new favorite writer, Simone Elkeles would definitely be on my list. This lady can write.

4 comments:

  1. We can definitely learn a lot from good writers, even if we don't agree with the "morality" of their situations. Sounds like a book I'd like!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved her book trailer for this. I laughed so hard it was ridiculous. Seriously, you should look it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I'm learning, Ann!

    LT, man both this one and the Rules of Attraction vids were so painful for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great!

    I'll check it out.

    Thanks, Mary.

    ReplyDelete