Friday, April 27, 2012

My Agent Sold My Book!

I feel like I've been sitting on this forever, but my wonderful agent, Kat Salazar of Larsen Pomada Literary Agents sold my book!!!

Here is the Publishers Marketplace listing:

Mary Gray's THE DOLLHOUSE ASYLUM, in which a group of teenagers are granted asylum from the apocalypse--and then assigned new identities as famous, tragic literary couples and forced to reenact their stories... or die, to Kate Kaynak at Spencer Hill Press, in a nice deal, for publication in October 2013, by Kat Salazar at Larsen/Pomada Literary Agents (World English).

And I have already been hard at work with my new better-than-words-can-express editor. She's seriously the real life version of what God must have seen that I needed/wanted. She has so much passion for my story and YA literature in general, plus she's a writer, too, so she *gets* everything I go through to create the right combination of storyline/words. And she's maybe even more communicative than me, which is saying something, and I absolutely love that about her. She's kicking my butt. I already told her she's my own Mr. Miyakgi/Walter from Fringe (pushing me, but hilariously brilliant, too.) Thank you, Danielle Ellison, for picking out my book. And thank you, Rich (my other editor who I look forward to getting to know) for wanting to work with my book, too! I am so excited to work with the Spencer Hill Press team since they specialize in young adult fiction. I've already read and was blown away by two of their books: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout, and Minder by Kate Kaynak. Plus, I love this cover: Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway and this premise: (Perfection by J.L. Spelbring). I love how Spencer Hill Press is so passionate about their books!

So it's time to celebrate! Throw confetti! Roll your eyes, because now I won't stop talking about my book. I'm so excited to be working with a publishing company with so much talent and ambition up their sleeves.

Oh, and I almost forgot! This is me signing the contract. I am very serious, because this, folks, is a very serious landmark for me.



Please chime in and I'll visit your landing pad back! Tweet this and I'll be sure to follow you on twitter and would love to tweet any of your good news, too.

40 comments:

  1. Yay, Mary, congrats on your super awesome news!
    I just started following you on Twitter ;)
    Can't wait for your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! Enjoy every second.Saw the news on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sweetest thing ever! I'm SUPER EXCITED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love LOVE this news! Congratulations, Mary! It's REAL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHH CONGRATS, MARY! And I'm glad to finally see what your book is about (it sounds really interesting and cool! Like, seriously, I want to read it right now!). I am so, so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! Thank you, Lyla! I'm totally stoked!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! running around with my hands in the air. she's my sister! woo woo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary! Welcome to SHP! I'm one of the newer authors with them and can tell you I have had the most amazing experience. They are so welcoming and approachable! Are you going to BEA this June? I'll go follow you on twitter now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I was sent here by your awesome editor's blog! I'm so excited for you, and I'm so excited to read this. Huge congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, ladies! Kim, no BEA this year but maybe next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrads, Mary!! You have worked hard for this.
    You are still missed here in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Delilas! And we still miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! What a dream come true. It gives us all a little hope :-)

    Jenna Grinstead
    T: storiestobe
    jennagrinstead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big congrats!!! I love a success story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's wonderful news! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you to be working with an editor like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy for you Mary, and can't wait to read the book! You've worked hard for this and I'm so excited its happening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO thrilled about your big news! (and really proud to know you!) You rock, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary, I'm so very happy for you!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, that's so awesome!!! I'm so excited for you! That just rocks!!! Do you have an expected release date?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, ladies!

    Tamara, October 2013. It'll make a great 31st b-day present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary that's awesome!!! So excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I just saw this via Twitter. SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! ::throws confetti::

    ReplyDelete
  23. You had me at Doll House. Fantastically creepy! Cannot wait to see your cover. Heard nothign but good things about Spencer Hill.

    Oh, I almost forgot. *throws confetti*

    Congratulations, Mary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hehehe Glad you like the title, Bethany. And, yes, I'm really excited to be working with Spencer Hill--they seem to be living up to their name.

    And thanks, Laura, Anna, and Nicole. *Rolls up sleeves* Now for the edits.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh dear Mary, I am SO happy for you! SO SO happy. The best thing you ever did was strike out on your own to find an agent. And your editor sounds fantastic. I'm very excited to read The Dollhouse Asylum. What an intriguing and spooky title.

    I think I'll remember the date, October 2013. As I'm getting older -- I'll be 73 next year -- I'm finding I don't remember things as well as I used to. But you're on my personal blogroll, and I'll stop by occasionally to see how the edits are going. Hooray for you! You are a very creative and talented writer. I'm very happy I know you!
    Ann Best, Memoir Author

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, Ann. You're like my own private cheerleader. Thank you for all the encouragement. You're the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Finally getting back to my blog reader. I know I congratulated you on Twitter, but congrats again!

    Have you heard that there is a Storymakers conference in Kansas City this September? It's on the 15th, and we're planning a carpool/caravan from Dallas. I hope you're able to come.

    ReplyDelete
  28. There IS??? I had no idea!!! Yeah, I want to go! *Googling details*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations!!!! That is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I haven't been by for too long. What wonderful news! I am so happy for you, Mary! I can hardly wait for an update. Congratulations. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Mary,

    Somehow this book is getting so many people excited, this means you're doing a great job! We've had a lot of fun last friday working on the front cover and we think it will look amazing. Just hold your anticipation a little longer, because I'm afraid we've accepted the challenge you've set for the back cover (and you thought it couldn't be done!). I guess we'll get round to that sometime this week.
    Thanks for the experience and we're very excited to grab a hold on the book when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you, Stephanie and Michelle!

    Janne and Esther! Aw, you stopped by my blog! :) I can't wait to see what you're doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete