Monday, July 20, 2009

An awakening, an illumination or even just a spark


I discovered a new band this week. Anberlin. My husband's friend gave him their CD and I've totally stolen it. I'm never giving it back. ;) But it's all about Amsterdam. What a totally depressing, miserable, amazing song.

I brought up the topic of inspiration with a fellow writer. I told her, "I LOVE reading books, watching movies, listening to music because it's how I get inspired." It's SO true. I would say my best and worst writing has occurred while listening to music--my most emotional and conversely most jumbled thoughts splattered across the computer monitor. My greatest ideas come after I've read/watched something phenomenal or while listening to a song I want to listen to over and over again. There's just something about reveling in that la la land that turns our right brain on. I LOVE the right brain. And our dreams! How they unleash our creativity.

So on this blog I want to regularly share the creative works that I am currently obsessed with--the stuff that grabs my insides and screams "Listen to me!! I am a part of you now!"

Yet I realize the mocking, criticism and/or offense I will no doubt engender amongst my readers (the millions that there are!) ... but...oh well! I'm having fun in my story sharing realm. Hopefully some good will occur too.

I watched I am Legend last week. What a rockin' movie!! The hero was SO abused--the conflict was so intense. And I was terrified!! Loved the film. And hate to ruin the ending, so I'll just say it was perfect. Perfect for the show and perfect for connecting with the audience.

As for books? Maybe I'll share what I'm currently reading for the next posting...But I'll give you a hint... it's can be very nervous-making. ;)

What have you experienced lately? That you've been dying to share but no one cares???

16 comments:

  1. Why would anyone mock, criticize or be offended? Post away. I have heard of Anberlin but have not yet heard them, what is similar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of Anberlin either. I'll have to check them out.

    I also love what music does to me. I'm a romantic at heart, and all of my novels have a huge subplot of romance. So usually those are the kinds of songs that make me tick. Right now--and I hesitate to mention this performer because she's hit and miss, some songs are great and others I find disturbing!--but I really like the new song by Pink. The song "Please don't leave me." Crazy, huh. There's totally a book I'm going to write about that song. I can't wait to tell the story about those characters.

    I saw I am Legend a few months ago and loved it. horribly scary, so good. That's about as scary as I can handle it.

    The only books I ever read are the YA ones I pick up from the library with my kiddos. Just finished one called "Diary of Rebekah's Handmaid" or something like that. Fascinating history behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband says Anberlin is like All American Rejects... I don't know. I'm actually a Muse fanatic myself.

    I'll have to check out that song by Pink, Tamara. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm always on the lookout for a great song. :)

    And you guys are awesome. Thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked I am Legend, a movie that you can watch over and over again. I love reading what is on your mind Mary. It inspires me to think deeper than the kitchen sink. I am going to go on Itunes and find Anberlin.

    I cant wait to read your book, Olivia sounds very interesting. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you put everything out there. As well as being obsessed with reading, I'm also obsessed with music. Some of my favorites right now are a song by Joseph Arthur called In the Sun. I also like Paramore's Riot CD, Dashboard Confessional, and Mae just to name a few. I love reading your blog and getting to know you even more in a way that I probably never would have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Delilas, Erica for your feedback. :) I can't believe I'm blogging. So very bizarre.

    Erica--I'm going to track down all the music you listed. Thanks for the suggestions! Your recommendations are always superb, whether it's books, movies, and now music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell me what you think of that song by Pink, Mary,and then I can know if I'm delusional or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought it, Tamara, and love it!! I can definitely see how you could come up with characters and their stories from that song. I'm so happy to add it to my collection. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erica, I just bought In the Sun. I love the melancholy sound. Maybe I'm not with it, but I hadn't heard of Joseph Arthur before. Very happy to be exposed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My most recent favorites are Franz Ferdinand (the album that has "Take Me Out") and the soundtrack from the movie Ray. They're great fun. But I can't actually write or do much thinking at all with music on, especially music with words-- just mindless stuff like folding laundry or washing dishes.

    When I was in high school, I looked down at my calculus homework and realized that I'd written the lyrics of the song I was listening to all over my homework! Since then it's been classical music (either without lyrics or else lyrics in a foreign language) or nothing at all if I actually want to think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered Joseph Arthur because that song plays during the alternate ending or Bourne Identity. J.J. actually discovered it. I also really like Carolina Liar's songs Show Me What I'm Looking for and Coming to Terms. I have plenty of suggestions if you know what type of music you're looking for.

    Alanna: That's hilarious about writing the lyrics on your calculus homework!! I can just imagine you doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alanna, Adam and I love Franz Ferdinand. Great reminder. I'll add him to my favorite artist list. :)

    Thanks for all the music, tips ladies! It's great to branch out--I get tired of the same old music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay! I'm so happy you liked that song! Makes me giddy that it's not just me. I just *feel* that song.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, I love how you put that! Whenever I find music that I love, I feel like it burrows inside me and refuses to leave me alone. Although I have to agree with Alanna about not being able to think while listening to music. A good song seems to fill my head to its capacity. Even classical music does this to me. Put on Chopin, Rachmaninoff, or Scriabin and I will be utterly useless. Maybe I'm just not a multi-tasker :)

    I am always hesitant to recommend music because everyone has completely different ideas of what musical talent is. But I've said this before, Radiohead's latest album 'In Rainbows' is fantastic. I think you can download the podcast for free on itunes, or you can always "borrow" a few songs from my itunes library.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried to find the free download, Shalane, but couldn't find it. Maybe i'll have to take you up on your offer to "borrow." :)

    Haven't heard of Scriabin. You'll have to play me some.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, i don't feel worthy to comment on your blog! :-) I am not a writer, but i love great stories with great themes, and I did really like I Am Legend. It also didn't hurt that it was Will Smith! :-)

    ReplyDelete