As many of us are well aware, the olive tree is a symbol for peace and hope. Other meanings include wisdom, glory, fertility, power and pureness. Hence my protagonist's name, Olivia. She embodies all of these elements as one of the only known living Ethos.
In fact, all of my characters' names have meanings, and all have Greek origins. Basil, for instance means king. Niobe means fern. I believe a story's theme may be enhanced by the names we choose for our characters.
So I put it to you, bloggers, authors, friends. If you wrote a story, what name would you be dying to use?? I'm sure there's one out there you've always loved. Maybe you don't have the guts to use it on your own kid. Or maybe you wish it was YOUR name! Share, share please! Or else let us know a name you fell in love with as it fit within a particular book or movie.
the names I choose aren't symbolic, usually. In my book "Branca," I chose names that fit w/ the countries of origin. But usually, for my characters, I 'try on' different names until I find the perfect fit. Kind of like you look at someone and you think they should have a certain name? Often my characters are that way too. It's like they have a real essence and the right name will bring them to life.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you Mary, every character in my books have names that I know the meaning of and it does relate to who they are. Even though many are Book of Mormon names, I have a lot of Greek names interspersed throughout along with the Hebrew, Egyptian, and Phoenician.
ReplyDeleteAnd you would get to look at all that but my glossary is being pushed back to book 2.
ps. The blog looks great with the new banner.
Thanks for commenting, my writing cohorts!! Tamara, I love how you explained what you do. I would expect different genres beckon different approaches to naming. I'm sure your approach fits what you're doing. I think one of the most fun parts is choosing a villain's name. And I absolutely love writing from a villain's point of view... should I be worried?? I bask in the evil!!
ReplyDeleteDavid, too bad your glossary had to get pushed to the second book. You must be getting antsy! Three months until your book is released!
What a great question, Mary! Names are so important in writing, it's scary. I had no problem coming up with my main characters names in Uncut Diamonds, but I struggled over and over with Marcie's friend. I can't even tell you how many names that woman had, until I finally settled on Charlotte Beardsley. I don't know, that just felt right, so Charlotte she is.
ReplyDeletebtw, has your editor been assigned yet?
ReplyDeleteNo editor yet... I spent the last week going to town on my manuscript and sent off my proposed changes to Maggie (asked her to send it to whoever my editor will be). I was really grateful for WiDo's initial criticisms because it gave me so much to work on. I think my manuscript has really improved in so many ways already, but I know it will only get better with their help. :)
ReplyDelete