Monday, August 31, 2009

It's Not Fun to Suck...

I'm going to steal a quote from WiDo's head editor, Kristine Princevalle... only she was smart enough to steal it first. She put this quote on her blog a long time ago and I've thought about it so many times today. It's from Heather Sellers' book Page after Page:

"Writing is hard. It takes so much willingness to be bad at something. It's not fun to suck. And, if you are to write, suck you must."

Wow. This fits me so well! I wrote my third draft and while waiting for my manuscript to come back from my editor, I asked for a friend to look at my latest version. And what did she say? Well... I think the word she used the most was "confusing." Confusing?! Not a good sign... But I am SO grateful for her time and help. All the notes she took were out of the greatest kind of love. ;)

I have yet to hear back from my editor about my latest thoughts. How I think my idea for a trilogy might be too ingenious for me to actually hack, and how my latest ending is completely off base. There are so many good elements to my first draft yet there are so many better elements in my second. But there are so many awful elements about my first draft. And there are many heinous elements in my second and third. WOW, I keep thinking! This really sucks!

BUT I have complete confidence in the gist of the story AND in the help from WiDo. It just takes a lot of time, a lot of sucking, and a lot of grasps for greatness.

Yet it was kind of a roller coaster day. LDS Publisher wants to include my Christmas story in her compilation after all. I'm going to be published this year! Pray these edits work out alright. I was tempted to say I hate Christmas stories in my bio... yeah that will go over well!

*sigh* I feel better already. Writing is so cathartic!

7 comments:

  1. poor thing! You're just on a ride. Not sure if you're up or down. Focus on the good stuff! You are getting published! In a Christmas story compilation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think above post is part of the grieving process. Grieving that I'm not brilliant on the first... or second... or third take. Just wait--I'll hit a high again soon. :) MAN am I emotional! Don't have a thing in common with those Logos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am certainly glad you are being included in the Christmas compilation, or I would have lost all faith in...something. LDSP? No, she's awesome, and she obviously knows her stuff to include your story.

    As for whether you suck or not. We all do at some point or another. And it is REALLY hard to write an entire novel! But you did it, and you got it accepted by a publisher, and now comes the hard, tedious part. Editing!

    You have talent, now it all comes together so your book can be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Karen, for your encouragement. Too bad we couldn't all do this over some Ben and Jerry's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING YOUR SHORT STORY PUBLISHED!!! That is SO great!!! The rest will come-- just keep plugging along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited that your short story is getting published!!!! That's fantastic. I was just telling J.J. last night that I hoped you didn't feel down about the things I said. And I knew you were going to focus on all the improvements needed and not on all the good things I said. There were some really great stuff in this draft. I have total faith in you and in this book. It's going to be fantastic. I'm sure every writer wants to write their first or second draft and have it be the final one!! You're incredible Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Christmas story? Sorry I'm so lame, I have no idea. Where/When can I read it?
    I'm so proud of you! You are going after your dream and you're making it happen. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete