
I made a list of movies today for my friend, Erica. They're all from BBC. And the fantastic thing is you can watch most, if not all of them on Netflix's on demand viewing. So I thought I'd put that list out there and ask if any of you have fallen in love with any of these shows I've only discovered this past year. PLOT. I love them all because of plot.
The Way We Live Now - this has the actor who plays Scarecrow in Batman Begins. Only he's the love interest in this. Very good.
Bleak House - excellent, kind of dark, based on Charles Dickens' novel, and boasts Jillian Andersen from X-Files
Wives and Daughters - a bit on the lighter side. I wish I had the protagonist's hair!
Daniel Deronda - just wrote something that I based off of this show. Another gem.
Our Mutual Friend - Another Dickens, a bit slow for me to get into, but a fantastic ending
Sense and Sensibility - older and longer than the one with Kate Winslet but still a goodie
Persuasion - the '95 one, not amazing, but still good
Northanger Abbey - another Jane Austen, a fun story
North and South - the Victorian era one, not the Civil War one, although that was a great book
I can't remember if the last two are actually BBC or not, but they fit in the same category of excellent British films.
I don't know what it is about all of these stories, but they just make the juices flow for me. I watch them and all I want to do is write my own story as inspired from these stories. Pride and Prejudice has so many adaptations, and rightfully so--its plot is simply magnificent. But, for me, these stories have semblances of that type of greatness. Let me know if you catch any of them. Tell me what you think.
have you seen the Pride and Prejudice filmed in Provo? It's absolutely hilarious. Well, I simply love it. I think I'll put it on tonight while I fold laundry.
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah. LOVE the movie. Perfect tidbit, Tamara.
ReplyDeleteI like most all the Dicken's stuff I have seen them do.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen the BBC's Ivanhoe? late 90's its awesome. You would recognize most of the actors but probably not know their names. Christopher Lee is the evil Templar Grand Master and is excellent-I highly recomend it if you can get it.
and I have not yet read all of the C Stories but I am guessing 4. email me to tell me if I am right or wrong please.
ramevorn at hotmail dot com
I'll definitely have to check out Ivanhoe. Thanks for the suggestion, David.
ReplyDeleteYou forgot North and South! Or maybe it just left more of an impression on me than you :)
ReplyDeleteThere's still a few on your list I need to watch. I finished The Way We Live Now yesterday, I loved the way it ended. And I liked Cillian Murphy although it took me a while to not think of him as a psychopath. Have you seen Redeye? You might like it.
Yeah, loved Red Eye.
ReplyDeleteI'm adding North and South. How could I forget????
Jonathan Creek...it's a series not a movie but it is fantastic! I've got them all on tape. About an oddball magician's helper who lives in a windmill and solves mysteries with a female crime writer. And their love/hate relationship is interwoven through the series.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Karen! I've now created a "Recommendations checklist" on my sidebar and added your latest and greatest. :)
ReplyDelete