The first book, Uncut Diamonds, by Karen Jones Gowen was nothing like anything I'd ever read before. Set in the seventies, this book is ideal for the reader of a stay-at-home mom who needs to commiserate over the pains and joys of having children. It is a gentle read with some simple yet beautiful similes.It also has some unique pioneer stories (it was great to read some new ones). This is something I'm going to buy for my mom--I think she'll enjoy identifying with the hardships of raising so many children in the seventies and eighties. I know I could identify despite my smaller family size. And most of all, the title perfectly describes this gem-of-a-book.
I am glad I read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I thought the framing done by Death was ingenious, and I got a kick out of his bold-faced asides.I've been to Dachau twice and Munich once so it was also nice to envision the places I was reading about--it really helped bring home the tragedy of the tale to me.
The ending also had a fantastic resonance. I felt oh so reverent at the end.
As for the short story, I'm pained to admit the theme was Christmas. But not of my own free will, LDS Publisher is offering a contest (of which the winners will be published in a collection of Christmas themed short stories). Go to ldspublisher.blogspot.com to check out the stories and vote for your favorite (she'll begin posting them on Monday). Too bad I'm forbidden to tell you which one's mine!
The Soloist wasn't my favorite movie, but it had some neat qualities. Once again, Jamie Fox and Robert Downy Jr. were moving in their roles, but the message of the film (to give to the homeless) was a bit 'in your face.' I didn't realize there were 90,000 homeless people in LA alone... so maybe the writers were successful in their message...
Adam and I finally used our free movie tickets to watch the latest Harry Potter. My friend, Lenee, asked how I liked it. All I could say was, "How could you not like it?" I love all the Harry Potter movies and books. While this one felt slower to me, I thought everything was spot on. Loved the scene at the lake and I agree with my friend, Alanna, that Snape was absolutely stupendous.
What did you read, write, or watch this past week? Anything I absolutely cannot miss?
I'm so glad that someone else appreciates Snape! ;)
ReplyDeleteCan I borrow either/both books? I'm nearly done with the one I'm working on and am looking forward to something new!!!
Hey-- when does the sequel to The Hunger Games come out? I started thinking about that the other night and could hardly sleep, I was so excited!
I rushed to your blog when I saw you had put up a new post, and then surprise! There's Uncut Diamonds staring at me, that was a surprise and Hey, thanks for the review! I have The Book Thief on my list. My 17-year-old son read it and really liked it. Good luck with the Christmas contest, I hope you make it in!
ReplyDeleteAlanna, The Book Thief is Shalane's, but I'm sure she'll let you borrow it. And, yes, you are more than welcome to borrow Uncut Diamonds. :) I have your essays book I need to get back to you. Remind me tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteThe sequel to Hunger Games is supposed to come out in September. If there's a release party, I want to go! It's a fun book!
Karen, I was more than happy to put up a review for UCD. Thank you for writing such a touching book! Let me know what you think of The Book Thief. It's a keeper. :) Did you enter the Christmas contest??
I absolutely love Snape as well. He does such a fantastic job! Was anyone else a little dissapointed in the ending of the new movie?
ReplyDeleteAlanna,Catching Fire (the second Hunger Games book) comes out Sept 1st. I can't wait!! I'm soooo excited.
I guess that I already knew there wouldn't be a fight scene... so I was prepared for it. Maybe it went too long?
ReplyDeleteErica, I'm starting The Last Apprentice tonight! Can't wait!...
I saw HP w/ Mark yesterday!!! I also loved it and felt it was slightly slower than the last few. But we were in the car driving, and I said, "Fleur!" and Mark goes, "Huh?" And I said, "they left out Fleur and Bill! That whole romance!" I will miss that. But I understand, for time's sake, they had to cut things.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the Christmas short story! Good for you for entering!
M.
ReplyDeleteI'll go check out the storys and vote. I wanna see if I can tell which one is yours.
No, I didn't enter the Christmas story contest. I can't write Christmas stories, just can't do it. I've tried in the past for Ward activities, etc. and nothing comes out.
ReplyDeleteSo you have your husband back, Tamara?? David, let me know which one you think is mine. :) Did either of you two enter?
ReplyDeleteKaren, I know what you mean--it was like Hades trying to figure out what in the world to do since I'm not into the Christmas story thing myself--as you know I'm terrified of 'cheese.' Doh, I want to say something about mine, but ethics forbid me! I better not give myself away!
I thought about throwing something together but its not really my realm and I was pretty busy doing my final checks for the sake of typesetting. But mine is done, time to polish up book 2. I will definetly let you know which one I suspect. Not that I have anything to go on except correspondence. But my gut is usually right.
ReplyDelete