Sunday, August 2, 2009

The pleasure in a miserable tale


I recently wrote something and my sister said, "Mary! Why are you always prone to write such miserable stories?" My husband read the same thing and when he finished, I asked, "How was it?" He said, "Painful." I could only laugh.

I am so happy in my life right now. I suppose the Lord has seasons for us all. Right now my lucky season is to be at ease. I suppose it makes me nervous--something awful is bound to be around the corner! And it's not to say I don't have miserable days. And I've definitely had awful years (hint: do not attempt to find pictures of me in the early 90s!).

One of my friends hates unhappy endings. I like to recommend books/movies, but always warn her if it's sad. Why do I get into these depressing tales??? I feel like it's cathartic--a real way to purge all those hidden emotions. My husband always wants a comedy. Give me a drama.

How about you?? What is your favorite type? Or perhaps you like a potpourri. I could claim the same.

12 comments:

  1. I hate sad endings. I always say about books or movies, "Tell me up front if it ends sadly/badly, b/c I won't read it."

    I don't mind a good cry in a movie, or sad moments, but it better end well (unless it's historical. It's life. What can you do?). If I need something depressing, I can find it around me. I read or watch movies to escape, be inspired, uplifted, rejuvenated. I love a good romantic comedy. Love. The other types are good, too. As long as there's a happy ending in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like all kinds but a quick example is one of the very, very, very few times a movie was better than the book. Ernest Hemingways 'To have and Have not" was re-written for the silver screen by William Faulkner. It is Humprhey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, set in Martinque during the early days of world war 2. I love it, the movie has everything.

    So I went and bought the book-its actually set a good ten years or more before world war 2 so thats different but ultimately its probably Hemingways most depresing book I have ever read. I love other stuff of his but I don't know that I will ever want to read it again because the movie was so much better and that never happens.

    I think I can like almost any story as long as I care about one of the characters, I have problems when I can't like anybody in a story, thats when I put it down. Its alright to see them going through the worst of times because if I like them I am with them through it and hunger alongside them to get out and overcome.
    Maybe I only do like happy endings? Because come on they have to get there evantually don't they?

    What am I saying, I am writing a Book of Mormon story about Mormon, you know how that ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you probably know, I like a potpourri of books/movies. I do like when there is a happy ending, but I don't mind if there's not. It just has to flow with the book and feel like everything was wrapped up. If that happens, I'm usually content.

    I've been into the macabre books lately. There's just something that draws me to them. My brother usually recommends them to me since he loves that type of book. I really love a book that draws you in emotionally as well as visually. If I can really imagine what I'm reading about and feel like I'm there as well as feel all the emotions, it makes for a fantastic book for me, even if it's not really happy. I agree with David about needing to care about at least one of the characters. That helps to feel emotionally and visually connected for me.

    I love books that let me escape and enter a world that I could never think about. That's one of the reasons I really LOVE your book Marry. I can't wait to read the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, guys. Such well thought out answers. Thanks for taking the time!

    Tamara, thanks for the up front answer about hating sad endings. I would think there's a large population of readers/writers who feel the same as you. Makes the creator re-think what they're creating.

    David, I am going to watch To Have and Have Not (and skip the book). I'm with Erica in saying I agree with you that I have to care about one of the characters. And I love a tale that shows a character withstanding abuse--makes them ever so heroic.

    Erica, I should try out some macabre books. Which has been your absolute favorite?? And thank you for the vote of confidence on my book!! You really are the best, woman. :)

    You guys are so good for me!! Widening my horizons!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite macabre books I've read so far are The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney. They aren't too dark/scary considering they are a young adult book. There are witches, ghasts, boggarts, and even the fiend himself. I really like the main character and all the things he has to go through being the spook's apprentice. (I have the first four books if you ever want to borrow any.)

    I also just read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I really like that one as well. It's more a series of short stories following the main character's life. I want to read more by Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I NEED to read The Last Apprentice series. You've said too many good things about the books. So if you're willing to part with some more books YET AGAIN, I would love to borrow them.

    Thanks Erica!! And let me know when I can be indoctrinated and be allowed onto your exclusive blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE a great tragedy. Not grusome, scary violence, but human nature tragedy. When the main character learns a very hard life lesson, or the characters face difficult challenges. Just watched "Seven Pounds", sobbed-- I mean SOBBED watching it and LOVED every second of it. Don't know why I love the tragic. Perhaps because it's not me suffering?? I don't enjoy the fantasy or pointless books. I want to read books that are plausible about different times, cultures, or lifestyles than my own. If it's fictional, then I want it to be believable. I don't want to feel like the book is trying to contrive my emotions. When it's mushy or predictable I'm not impressed. One example of a book I LOVED was "Cry, the Beloved Country". There is one point in the book where the main character is in a terrible situation, but just sitting and thinking quietly about his life. I was so moved by this sweet character and his horrible problem. I think this book had some of the best character development I've ever read. I mean I absolutely understood this character and loved him. Sorry I'm rambling a bit. Never claimed to be a writer, though, so I'm allowed to ramble, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read Cry, the Beloved Country again. Read it for school.

    We must be related, Chris, if we both love tragedy. :) Seven Pounds WAS such a great movie. One of the best messages ever, I think.

    Liked your sketch for our meal schedule. Anyone jealous?? My sistah and I are planning a trip to Walt Disney World with our families!!! I feel like such a yuppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey! when are ya'll going?? we booked our timeshare in Orlando for the second week of November...now we just have to make sure Mark's new job (which he doens't have yet) will let us take that week off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me??? We'll be there Nov. 4th through the 10th!! That's a Wed. to a Wed... so if you're there we should totally hook up and meet!!! Ha! I feel like we're "internet dating!!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. we'll be there the 6th-12!!! too cool! remember there's still that big "if"...if Mark gets a job that lets him have that week off! (Of course, he might not get a job, and then we don't have to worry about it!) that's way awesome! we'll have to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good drama, but don't watch them too often because Aaron likes the comedies. Like lately we watched Finding Neverland, and even though it's sad, i just LOVE the characters and how it makes me cry and feel good, but sad at the same time!

    ReplyDelete