We're back! And I'm officially the worst vacationer ever!! I didn't crack open my laptop once because we were constantly on the go, so I didn't get a chance to read or write EVER. Okay. I lied. I did read one book. But that's it! And I'm SO relieved to be home!
My 21 month old will usually takes this awesome three hour nap in the afternoon and I'm pretty good at scheming ways for my four-year-old to be entertained during our quiet time. But what happened on vacation? My youngest daughter didn't nap at all! The days were so long! No breaks! And all I wanted to do was pull out my computer, type a few words. Revel in a sliver of peace...
And that's when I realized--yep!--I'm addicted: to fiction in all its glorious, untouchable forms. I went through serious withdrawals while on "vacation" but am thrilled to be home and have my blessed schedule back. :)
But we DID visit this outstanding plantation. And I'll share more about that tomorrow... or Wednesday at the very latest.
*Update* Writers, check out Chip MacGregor's tips for marketing fiction. Loved the posting. I asked if he could recommend a source for knowing what makes good cover art. We'll see if he answers. ;) Now, if I could just get my own front table at Barnes & Noble... lol.
http://chipmacgregor.typepad.com/main/
This is why the indies are so good, you don't have to pay for front of store exposure. AND they will handsell your book if they like it, or like you, or like your publisher.
ReplyDeleteI wish there were more indies near me besides used book stores. Have you worked those those?
ReplyDeleteFarm Girl has done pretty well in a used book store/ antique / boutique shop in McCook, NE. That's the one I know about, since it was a signing stop on my tour, although I think there are others out there as well, selling my books. The owner had cookies and ice water out for patrons and no one showed up, PLUS she had promoted on her weekly radio spot. But I absolutely LOVED browsing around her shop. I think it depends on the store owner whether they're interested in new releases and whether or not they want to do signings and other promotions.
ReplyDeleteThat is so sweet and sad. Why do things like that make me sad? When I was in the first grade, it was parent/teacher night or something, and I went into my teachers class, and she was standing by the door all alone. Waiting. I wanted to cry.
ReplyDeleteWhen my mom went elsewhere to see my other brother's classes, I told her I would go back to keep my teacher company. So I returned to the lonely teacher who was now talking with someone and I heard her say, "Yeah, no one is coming,I can just relax. It's great."
Why did I care so much?