Thursday, September 24, 2009

Marketing

When I submitted to WiDo, Tamara said they asked for her marketing plan, so because I was determined to not miss a single play, I sent them a marketing plan, too... something I had a blast creating.

I majored in Public Relations. And what I learned gaining that degree was usually aimed for a company in crisis mode. So I created a campaign for my book with a tool called "The Matrix" and sent it off.

I thought I'd come up some great ideas but wasn't really sure if that was the best way to do a marketing plan. I also didn't know my budget, which made for an interesting guessing game.

Well THEN I saw literary agent Chip MacGregor's post earlier this week, "Talking Books and Marketing:"
http://chipmacgregor.typepad.com/main/

He brought in this high and mighty marketing guru that listed several outstanding ways to market your books.

And, lo and behold, those things were what I had done in creating my marketing plan using my public relations expertise! So, what do you know? No wonder I had so many classes with the marketing folks--they were actually teaching us many of the same things. It's nice to know I came out with something. :)

Now I look forward to understanding WiDo's marketing capabilities and concerns. It will be fun to get to that marketing point but am happy to be editing too.

5 comments:

  1. Like you, I am so excited to see how far and how much WiDo will go/do to help us with marketing. I want to get my name everywhere. I want to do everything. and you better believe I'll be following your every move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when it comes to web presence, you're a hard act to strive to keep up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...sounds like you're a bit of a marketing guru as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or wanna be, more like!

    I have an idea, Kate. Let's mosey around the blogging world, spouting off flashy words such as "guru" and Matrix." I'm certain we'll fool everyone into believing we're exponentially more marketing-savvy than any real guru around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. M. Gray, Nice to meet you. I'm glad to hear that you are publishing with WiDo, and that your experience has been great. congratulations. thanks for the visit and for looking at my website.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete