Monday, October 5, 2009

This One Goes Out to Mauritius

My friend, Joe Scoresby, was a pal and helped me set up an awe inspiring tool, the highly esteemed Google Analytics. Through it, I have been able to view the number of visits to my site and the origins of the visitors down to their home towns. I can also view a nice little pie chart called "Traffic Sources Overview." This breaks down visits to my blog to referring sites (61%), direct traffic (32%), and search engines (7%). And can I say now that that miniscule 7% sends a cheesy, lopsided grin to my much too serious face?

7% of my viewers typed an inquiry into Google, and Google Anaytics reveals what they typed:

examples of bad logos and ethos
a short story that uses pathos ethos or logos
crisis no.1 ethos pathos logos
ethos pathos logos animal farm
how to spot ethos in readings
identifying pathos worksheet
list of examples of ethos pathos and logos
pathos, ethos fiction
public relations pathos ethos logos
snape bad boy

It appears the ethos, logos, pathos phenomenon engenders a need for answers. And one dear inquiry occured on the obscure island of Mauritius. Where is Mauritius, I wondered, then discovered the island to be east of Madagascar, a fantastic vacationing spot, the first place for country-wide wireless internet, and the only true origin of the Dodo bird.

So, may I say now, I love you my Maruritius inquirer. If you (or any other fellow Googler) are searching for ethos, logos, and pathos definitions, may I offer these short explanations:

  • Logos means logic. If your English class requires that you identify examples of logos, look for statistics, lines of reasoning, or anything that is singularly reason dominated.
  • Pathos means emotion. And not just sadness; any emotion. A common manifestation of Pathos in persuasive writing occurs when a writer pulls for an emotion when sharing a story.
  • Ethos means morality and it can also mean credibility. For morality, look for times when a character's conscience causes them to make a good decision. For credibility, ask if the writer is truly an expert on the topic, and highlight what increases that believability.

AND THEN, when you become obsessed with this all-consuming concept, come back to this site. I will gladly tell you more about my book. But I'll give you a hint... my characters have super powers based on these three elements.

14 comments:

  1. I put analytics on mine a couple months ago but I must not be using it to its full potential because I don't know what my 12% search engine folk were looking for, nor do I know what hometown they are from. So I'd appreciate your guidance on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on loving your google analytics. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the teaser about your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew something about that stuff! I need to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, the home town is simple. Just click on the "Map overlay," pick a state, and you'll see how many hits from each city. You won't see the name of the person, only home towns.

    For the google key words, go to Traffic Sources Overview, view report, and on the bottom right hand corner you'll see key words, visits, and % visits.

    Thanks, L.T. and Kate for your kind comments! Glad I found you guys!

    Tamara, go to www.google.com/analytics to create your account. It should walk you through it. If you get stuck, you can ask me and I'll ask Joe (or my husband I'm sure could help too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll have to show me how to use Analytics - I tried months ago and have given up. And about the "c" vegetables - make sure Adam knows AJ was just kidding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll try to help with analytics... or at least Adam could show AJ. Sorry about the anemia though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. So does this mean that when I make a comment on a blog that has this installed, the blogger can see where I live?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your name never shows up, Karen. I can just see the the number of visits from each city. For Utah, for instance, I have 2 visits from Ogden, 3 from SLC, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just one more thing that will get me blog obsessed. I am in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha--glad you find it intriguing too, L!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How in the world did you come up with such an awesome idea for a novel. I am blown away-I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this doesnt help me at all with what i have to do.. im doing a literary analysis for english and need help with the rhetorical devices.. im not trying to say this is a bad sight, but it just wastes my time when i click on the link and it doesnt give me what i need!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is crapppp,
    ya'll really need to learn to make your sights more... INTERSTING. :D

    ReplyDelete