


This season of House is on a whole new level, and can I say I'm loving it! Especially the psychiatric premier. And Dr. House is actually nice!
A Tale of Two Cities? Bought it for a buck. It took me couple hundred pages to get into it, but I'm on the last quarter and am really enjoying it and can see why Dickens is considered a genius. And the French Revolution? In my mind, a time of utter terror. The guillotine frightens me--worse than snakes, strawberries, and rodents combined.
The Brothers Bloom--an absolute delight. It's Adrien Brody at his finest. Eccentric characters, unique dialogue, I loved the art of this movie.
I have watched some incredible shows this week completely by accident. Inspector Lewis on PBS, the former, much less interesting partner of Inpector Morse. But he has this new, young, serious, intellectual, clean cut partner who was so intriguing, with people commenting on his celibacy -- and get this-- near the end, this partner uses the word "flippin'" My husband about did a somersault. He said, "NO ONE EVER uses the word "flippin'" but missionaries!" So we're thinking--is this guy a Mormon--this clean cut, young,British detective who is celibate and uses the word flippin'?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, this is probably completely uninteresting to everyone but myself...but you did ask.
My husband loves Dickens. I find him very boring. But I did humor my husband one year and let him read A Tale of Two Cities as one of our reading books. I actaully enjoyed it. But you know, back then they were paid by the WORD. And Dickens threw a lot of them in there. LOL.
ReplyDeleteI read Offworld by Robin Parrish--very very good. Sci-fi w/ a religious spin. And The Familiar Stranger by Christine Berry. Review's on my blog. I haven't seen anything yet but I checked out Steel Magnolias from the libary annd plan to watch it tonight while I fold laundry.
Just read the "Glass Castle"--WOW! Amazing! Just some hints of my childhood there.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping to catch the second episode of "The Middle" on TV tonight. It was so funny last week. Always love Patricia Heaton. Gonna read "Hungry Games" from my sista's recommendation.
I like hearing about your show, Karen. Tell us all the "flippin'" stories you can!
ReplyDeleteGlad to know you feel the same way about Dickens, Tamara. A LOT of words, not my favorite style, but still amazing.
Chris, adding "Glass Castle" to my goodreads list. :) Tell me what you think of Hunger Games. Pretty much amazing!
i watch a lot of tv! kind of easier to say what i *don't* watch. lol they need a "goodreads" site for tv or music. i'd do much better at that. can't read much right now as it requires at least one free hand hehehe
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Dickens! I read everything he wrote when I was 15. In Geometry class. Then I read Les Miserables. This was before it was trendy OR abridged. And now you know why I'm such a literary snob.
ReplyDeleteAll I ever watch is "The Office" over and over and over again. Oh yeah, and I am now addicted to a new movie "The Chronicles of Riddick." I don't know why. I don't like Vin Diesel, he is horrible and ugly, can't act, but for some reason I have watched it four days in a row.
ReplyDeleteAaah! I love people who get obsessed with stuff! Cam, I'm right there with you--tv helps a ton when you're feedin' a baby. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteKaren, sheesh, you ARE a snob. Read all of Dickens stuff when you were 15? Now I feel like a moron!
Jane! Thanks for stopping by! Please come back again. And again. And again. And again! Someday I'll manage to think of a giveaway to make everyone's stop here more worthwhile. I, too, love "The Office." Especially the first season. And that new show, "Community," is pretty funny. The scene with the Spanish teacher had me rolling. Haven't watched CofR yet, but now I know to check it out!
I'm hosting book club tonight. My recommendations are going to be (because I have recently read them all):
ReplyDeleteThe Help, by Kathryn Stockett
The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
Counting the Stars, by Michele Paige Holmes
We'll see what they choose this time. We just finished Mt. Vernon Love Story, by Mary Higgins Clark.
Love the book club!
Yes, Mary, but just remember...I happen to love your writing style!
ReplyDeleteHow fun, Krista. Thanks for stopping by!! LOVED Hunger Games, and I actually gave Mt. Vernon Love Story as a gift to my sister-in-law (she loves history) but I really liked it! And I live near Mt. Vernon, so it was cool to see it in person.
ReplyDeleteAnd book clubs can be great. A bunch of friends of mine are trying to gear ours up again. The first book was Happiness is a Serious Problem. Next? I dunno, but I host in March!
Karen, oh, Karen. What would I do without your encouragement??!
What did I read this week? A lot of blogs. I do believe I am addicted.
ReplyDeleteZero deep intellectual reads for me this week. No, all I've managed to do was get addicted to Lost. I blame it on you, Mary.
ReplyDeleteWhy can't you edit your own comments? Now you can see my inability to use correct grammar.
ReplyDeleteOh, after not having read the book in years, I did just watch Bridge to Terabithia. I forgot how it ended and I cried. A lot. What's wrong with me, isn't it a kid's movie?
And I have seen/read none of those yet. I'll have to hop on it.
ReplyDeleteYes, get to work L.T. :) Shalane, added Bridge to T. to my movies recommendations checklist and will have to add it to my goodreads account. And I'm glad you're liking Lost!
ReplyDeleteL.A., you're such a slacker!
I watched Wolverine all by myself while Craig was at the priesthood session. It was great. And the best part was that, since I'm not pregnant, I didn't even start crying during it at all. (Guess who still gets made fun of for crying during X-Men III???)
ReplyDeleteBesides that, Craig and I have been watching Season 2 of ER and season 5 of 24. (I guess we only like shows with short titles!) And I've been reading Mistborn, which I highly recommend so far!
By the way, it was funny reading Cami's comments and remembering how all I did was watch Buffy when Bentley was born! I think I got through the first five seasons or something before I started to have a life again!
Alanna, I loved Wolverine! I love Liev Strieber who plays the bad guy. :)
ReplyDeleteWait M., before you watch Chronicles of Riddick I should warn you that I didn't say it was good, just that I am addicted to it. Please don't judge me forever on that movie. I also watch Armegeddon entire months at a time. Maybe I just like movies in space.
ReplyDeleteHaha, note taken!!
ReplyDelete