I've been spending endless hours reading Brandon Sanderson's second Mistborn book, The Well of Ascension. I am such a slow reader. Sure, it's long, but I swear no one takes as long as I do to finish a book. I like to hear each individual word in my head. And when I hear each of these words, I love to savor in the voice of the narrator.
Which brings me to today's topic. What element in fiction matters to you the most? Do you revel in clever characterization? Do you hack away at the torrents of literature, determined to find the best plot? Do you love voice? Are you a sucker for something else I don't seem to have the wits to mention?
I am so impressed with Sanderson's work. I completely understand why he is a NYT best selling author. His plot and building momentum of his works are enviable, borderlining on godlike. I love that I have friends kind enough to share this journey with me (reading Sanderson's books) but--are you waiting for the but???--I have two major setbacks.
Woah, woah, woah. How ridiculous of me to even claim. I have reservations about a NYT bestselling author? Someone I would probably leak spittle just to be around? Well... I suppose I do! Afterall, what would this post mean if it were dishonest? Okay. I'll admit my reservations:
1) the beginnings of the first two Mistborn books. Kind of slow.
and
2) the narrator's voice. I kind of nod off at times.
And for me? What are the most important elements for me in literature? I have given them--I need a hook, and I need a killer voice. Okay, I don't need them, but it's what I truly love! I'm dumber than you. Yes! I admit it! I'm a product of television! I revel in the simplistic jolt of an ostentatious beginning and I yearn to wade through the pages of a book that won't put me to sleep. And this is probably why I love first person so much. The voice is so clear--poignant--I can't miss a word! I feel that I'm the listener of my new best friend's secrets, but for some reason when a story is told in third person, I sometimes feel as though the secret has only been sent by the messenger.
Yet I shake my head as I write this. What kind of idiot must I proclaim myself to be? Proclaiming that first is above third? When multitudes will prove me otherwise?
So then it just comes down to preference. This is what I like. And of course there's characterization. Where would we be without our characters we believe to be real?
How about you? First or third? And what elements of fiction matter to you the most?
*Disclaimer* If I had the opportunity to take Sanderson's creative writing class at BYU, I'd just as soon wear a turkey suit, and chant "gobble gobble" til the end of the month. His books are amazing. Uh-may-zing.
Oh my, so hard to choose what makes a good book. But I think for me it all boils down to characterization. They have to feel real to me. I really love it when I respond strongly to fictional charactes whether I love them or truly detest them. I want to be able to walk away and hear that character's voice in my head and know how he/she would react in any given situation.
ReplyDeleteAs for Sanderson--never had an interest in reading his book. But I do now ;) Thanks for that. I wish I were patient enough to read slowly, though.
Sanderson's work does not interest me in the slightest. It's not my genre and I don't think I could read even one of his books. So he may be uh mazing, but I will more likely love some much less amazing author who no one has ever heard of. I'll let you know who that is later, when I think of it.
ReplyDeleteAs for first or third person, I am ok with either one as long as it is DONE WELL.
First or third, for me, depends on the book. I love Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" (1st person), but love "The Old Man and the Sea" (3rd person) more. Close 3rd person is almost as intimate as 1st person, without the drawback of a potentially unreliable narrator.
ReplyDeleteThe beauty of 3rd person is that it allows the author to get inside more than one person's head. The beauty of 1st person is that it's waaaay inside the narrator's head.
I'll use either as the fiction demands (though so far I've used mostly close 3rd person).
You never have to apologize for your preferences, though!
Hmmm... Tough call. It's usually the voice that pulls me in and keeps me reading, but sometimes leaves me unsatisfied at the end. That was how I felt with the book My Sister's Keeper. I couldn't put it down, but by the end, I felt like I'd been cheated because the entire book wasn't as good as the voice was....
ReplyDeleteI don't like it if the writing starts to feel manipulative. For example, I started Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, but it was so short and choppy I felt like it was written for people with ADHD or something and I finally put it down because I felt like I was too smart for it. (How's THAT for obnoxious?!?!?!) It also annoyed me that each chapter ended with what should have been the first paragraph for a different chapter. Obvious device. Keep me interested without using cheap tricks-- just tell me a good story.
That's why I loved the Mistborn books. Because by the end, even if it was a little slow at times, it left me satisfied.
So I guess to answer your questions, what I want is a combination of good story, interesting characters (quirky enough to be real, but still likable), and good writing. That's all. Nothing much. :)
P.S. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sounds out the words in my head-- it does make for slow reading, but it is SO satisfying! And hey, who am I racing with anyway?
ReplyDeleteP.P.S. Remind me some day when we're bored and have run out of things to say (yeah, right!) to tell you about a paper I wrote on Willa Cather's My Antonia and how the narration works in that... Good times!
Wow! Thanks for commenting guys! I only watched the season finale to Alias' first season and came back to candy! Yipee!
ReplyDeleteCarolina, glad to know we're both suckers for characterization. Makes me curious about your characters. :)
Karen, haha, I love your bluntness. For not caring to read Sanderson's books, you certainly have the straightforwardness of his oh so powerful protagonist.
Simon. Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Your last line made me smile. Is this where I apologize for apologizing?
Alanna, pick one!! What is your FAVORITE element???
Alanna, you should tell me tomorrow. :) Aidan was totally fine.
ReplyDeleteI think I am with you in the sense of the slow building-it is not grabbing me like it seems like it should. I am going to try and finish Warbreaker soon next couple weeks but if it doesn't really grab me in the next 100 pages it could be in jepardy.
ReplyDeleteGlad I'm not the only one who enjoys a quick hook.
ReplyDeleteOhmygosh. I can't believe how I spelled ostentatious before...
It's not a sin to tell your true feelings. You were neither insensitive or unkind. Aside from that, it's understandable to need a hook and catchy narrator. We're taught to embrace those things and to use them ourselves as writers.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I think Brandon's a genius too. I truly enjoy his works.
Thanks for stopping by again, L.T. How's Nano going??
ReplyDeleteI like everything as long as it fits well with the story and what the writer is trying to accomplish. And I don't think I have a true genre either, I will try anything. I don't even need a terrific hook, I love all those old stories that spend the first ten pages describing the people and the setting, as long as it is done cleverly.
ReplyDeleteI think my major pet peeve is boring phrasing. "We went to the store." Boring. "She bit the apple." Boring. "They stripped to their scivvies and raced into the ice cold river." Hmmmm, interesting.
I think anything with scivvies becomes interesting--and not from the sicko angle. :) Scivvies. What a fun word to write and look at. I think I love the two Vs.
ReplyDeleteScivvies. I feel Swedish.
L.A. and M., you will both love Ghost Waves then. The scivvies word is used several times :)
ReplyDeleteHaha. I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteScivvies, aaarrrrgh! I'm a Swedish pirate.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I've made up my mind, and I've decided that for me, story is the most important aspect in a novel. If there's a really great story, I'll forgive a lot of other problems, but great characters and great voice can't get me to forgive a lousy story. That's my conclusion.
ReplyDeleteThe story has to keep me going, but I need to LOVE the characters, or it's a trudge to tackle the story. Does that make sense?
ReplyDeleteBTW, just saw your name on the list of authors in "Stolen Christmas" at LDS Publisher. Congrats!
I think there are some stories that must be told in first, and some stories that must be told in third. It all depends. I've written in both and feel that it's important to listen to the story and ask it what it needs.
ReplyDeleteOne of my all-time favorites is Jane Eyre and it just wouldn't be Jane Eyre if it was in 3rd person. I'm with ya chica--i enjoy 1st person!
ReplyDelete