Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It Hurts! Oh, It Hurts!

I have been obsessed with titles lately. For my book. And my good friend, Krista Jensen, mentioned her publisher wants her to determine ten additional titles to her already wonderfully entitled book. (Good luck, Krista! I'm here for you!!) But this has gotten me thinking about my story and all the smashing titles my publisher could give it. But of course in the process I have only been able to come up with the most painful of titles. Shall I share them? I believe I shall. :)

1. Persuasion - absolutely love this title, but I've heard it somewhere before...

2. The Mansion of Hips and Feet - Carrie Ryan had all the good ideas. But I suppose The Forest of Hands of Teeth is a much better fit for her--since her story is about zombies and all.

3. Aristotle's Spawn - hehehe. I chuckle every time I think of this one. I don't believe I could ever truly write horror.

and

4. I Am the Ethos - Do you think Markus Zusak would mind? Maybe some of his successes would rub off on me...

I can't think of a fifth. Poor Krista--ten! What would be a heinously awful title for your book? Or which is your favorite of mine??

19 comments:

  1. I love coming up with titles! It's choosing one that makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the blog through a RT by Carolina and...Oh my, I JUST posted about titles on my blog! They must be on everyone's mind...

    Personally, I think you should go with Persuasion. Jane's not around to defend herself, and besides no one reads those lame CLASSICS anyway...psh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Heather. Thanks for stopping by! Too bad I'm utterly obsessed with all period drama! I'll go check out your blog. Thanks so much for stopping by! Yay! Another friend!

    Carolina, you must tell me some of your titles. For good or worse. It's so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, coming up with a title is like taking a public speaking course...something I'll only do under duress and at the last minute. However, I will admit to thinking that I might just call my wip "About Damn Time" because that's what my friends and family will be thinking when I finally finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vote's for Aristotle's Spawn. Title's are so hard. Probably because the pressure's on to have a stellar one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Persuasion myself but its probably best if you're sure people won't get it confused with the other.

    My own novel's heinous title?
    Combat boots among the Nephites
    or
    Mormon the Barbarian
    or
    The Sword and the Glory
    or
    Gates of Unfair
    or
    Unclassifiable Genre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, visited your blog, Rhonda. Thanks for stopping by! Hehe, your current title if funny.

    Catherine, I'll remember your vote whenever I feel gothic. ;)

    David, dude, you have some rockin' titles. It's all about the first two. Especially the first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, since I haven't written a book yet, I don't have to think of a title. I kind of like Aristotle's Spawn, though. I'm having flashes of small, crawly things in togas swarming around and biting people's ankles. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny post, Mary. =] I'm espeically fond of Persuasion. (I'm a period drama fan, myself.)

    Titles are hard for me. I usually wait to title something until I'm finished with it because by then, I feel like I know the flavor pretty well. I do the same thing with blog posts. Of course, this means I have SUPER lame WIP titles. One of mine is the character's names and the other is an object. Just enough to clarify their different locations on the hard drive, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks for the sympathy, sista! The Mansion of Hips and Feet made me giggle.
    I'll give you two titles I came up with that I loathe:

    Blossoms Falling (gag)
    Shadows of Summer (blech)

    If they pick either of these I don't know what I will do. It will involve an awful lot of chocolate.

    I did have to chuckle, though, at your Persuasion title (wink). Good luck! I hope you get a title that knocks people off their feet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know your work, but love #2. Too fun.

    I find titles trying. If I needed to change something, it wouldn't be a problem. I am, though, a bit attached to my mid-grade boy mystery, A Cookie, A Jacket, A Letter (which I affectionately refer to as "the snickerdoodle one").

    ReplyDelete
  12. Krista, did you think of a new one you like better than your original?

    Caroline, your title is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, nice.

    Yeah, I'd be very hard pressed to come up with 10 for mine, especially my WIP that I haven't even given a 1st title too lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, ten titles? Now I want to get over to Krista's blog and find out what's going on there. I'm curious. What was her already awesome title, who is her publisher, what are some of her 10 titles? See you over there, Krista

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary and Karen- I put up a new post on my blog. Honestly, I don't even know if I should list the alternate titles, they sound so wrong! I'm pretty much a people-pleaser, but I am finding in this instance, it is going to be a very hard thing to get around (if I have to... they could still go with my title, right??). Still grateful to be this far in the game, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Voidwalker, you'll have to let us know when you get your first title.

    Hey, Kristina! I've seen you around the blogging world. Thanks for stopping by! Love your comment. ;)

    Krista, Karen, I'm off to Krista's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why don't you use the Title "The O's"? Or the "Three O's", or, this one's great the "O cubed". Pretty bad, eh? I figured I could make your alternate titles look good.

    ReplyDelete