"I look death in the eye.Her fingers are all broken; some have bone pushing through the flesh. Her arms are ragged and yet she flings herself at me with a passion that will not end until her body is too spent to stand and still she will crawl onward.
The siren halts its wail again and the sound is replaced by the rattle of the fence as Gabrielle lunges against it again and again, her broken teeth clacking as her jaws snap in anticipation. But her eyes are still clear--that clarity of the newly Unconsecrated. And she stares at me as if I am her only salvation."
-The Forest of Hands and Teeth, by Carrie Ryan
I'm too terrified to slink up the stairs, down the blackened hallway to rest my panicked body tonight. This book is amazing, and creepy, and steamy, and dark. Ryan's words wind about me squeezing, strangling, annihilating a frantic heart.
I like that title and the writing style-but you probably could have guessed that.
ReplyDeleteWow. That's probably the best review for this you could have given her! Your words are just as lovely as Carrie's!
ReplyDeleteWhat is this book? I want to know it.
ReplyDeleteI just finished it not two minutes ago. It was amazing and I'm pretty sure the debut for this author. I highly recommend it. Although it ended differently from how I would write it, it was still a masterpiece. Thanks for commenting, David, L.T., and Krista! It's new this year and is in libraries in bookstores everywhere.
ReplyDeleteoh my. that sounds like a fantastic book. Adding it to my list!
ReplyDeleteYay! Ryan should add me to her marketing plan!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like an intense read. Another to read book. My list is too long!
ReplyDeleteMine, too! How can we accomplish it all Kate? I need to read faster. I'm an impossibly slow reader...
ReplyDeleteYou're brave. I couldn't finish it. Her mother turning killed it for me. haha
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to the next book!
ReplyDelete