Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cliches: Guess What I Heard in the Library Today?

They say we shouldn't use cliches in our writing. Possibly in dialogue, but we want something fresh, right?

Today I was enjoying a blissful three hours writing/editing at the library when a real live human being flirted with me!

*Pausing record sound effect*

This is huge, yes it is huge! The number of people who have honestly flirted with me during the course of my entire life could easily fit on one hand. And when I told my husband about it, I don't think he believed me.

*Clears throat* This is how it went:

Completely absorbed in the screen before me, I reread my current paragraph, strategizing how to finesse the language some more.

"You dropped something."

I looked up to see a grinning teenager with a large gap in his teeth.

"Oh?" I couldn't begin to think what I could have dropped--I had been sitting in my chair for hours and this boy had just walked up.

"You're such a pretty girl, with a face like that you shouldn't drop your smile."

Eeeee! Woah! Did he really just say that?? At the end of 2009? Something we've heard for at least fifteen years???

I smiled at him, then shook my head. "Just concentrating."

And he grinned again then walked off.

And there you have it! I believe he was quite pleased with himself that he could be so smooth. Cliches shouldn't just be avoided in fiction. Strike them from every day life! Wow! What a line!

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes life is more unbelievable and more unpredictable than fiction ... and cliches maybe just ... surprising! Have a joyful Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably took the poor lad ages to work up the courage to say that. Hence the satisfied smile as he walked away. Congratulations on being a flirtee, good lady. :)

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Simon. Like I said, it was a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarous! Not that you got hit on. Rather the line he used :P

    Still feels good to get hit on huh? I'm with you where I've only been flirted with maybe a handful of times in life. I welcome a good innocent flirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha it's much better when it's for me and not my husband. He used to come home every day with maddening stories of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fine line! Love it.

    My husband is the king of cliches. He practically slays me everytime he opens his mouth...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, you get it on a daily basis then. Wow! Don't know if I could handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! Some things should always be used, huh?

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got flirted with, once upon a time ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! That is great. May the innocent flirt strike again in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO oh mary it's only bc you didn't realize it when guys flirted...it's not always so obvious. ;) having said that...i do realize that with kids (or my ripped hubby!) in tow, it definitely limits the flirting. i now get excited when i can even get a construction worker to look my way! lol

    ReplyDelete