Monday, January 25, 2010

Mr. Schupp (Pronounced Shupe)

I don’t believe Mr. Schupp could ever fully know what he did to me.


Geometry. Sophomore year. A freshman class in the afternoon.


“Mary, Mary, Mary,” he always sang. Medium brown hair, medium brown beard. The face, the voice, the mannerisms of Brad Pitt.


“Another quiz!” he would announce. “But I will teach you the last elements.” He would dash to the side of the room, rip a paper from the wall, toss something to a student. “This has to do with the Pythagorean theorem,” he would say, then jot a mess of instructions on the board.


Every class was like this. Running, and jotting, the chalk dust coating his hurried fingers. He’d clap it away, wipe his hand clean on his leg. And then he would run those fingers through that medium brown hair, over that medium brown beard…


Friday afternoon, mid-January, wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. He gave his lesson, tossed another quiz on my desk; the stories hilarious, the quiz’s questions over the top. I had just finished the second to last question when Mr. Schupp stood above my desk:


“Mary, Mary, Mary,” he grinned his twenty-four-year-old, bad-for-sixteen-year-old female student smile. “This is for you,” he tossed a tape on my desk.


I touched it, confused.


“Every song has Mary in it,” he announced, a proud authority.


I flipped it over—the label’s songs were marked up in the back as well. “Thanks!” I could barely squeak.


But Mr. Schupp was already halfway across the crowded classroom.


And all I could do was lament over the fact that his girlfriend was probably twenty-four and for all I knew, helped him make the tape.


***


It truly happened. Every wretched song. I listened to the tape, dumbstruck, amazed, by the thought of my teacher making this for me. I’d only just gotten my braces removed that year. Boys didn’t pay attention to me. I knew it wasn’t like that.


And yet. What he did. Oh how it toyed with my little mind.


And once again, more than anything, I yearned to be twenty-four.

17 comments:

  1. It toys with me! Is this the end? This CAN'T be the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not thinking of a Mary song after that, but I am wondering about the Police's "Don't stand so close to Me"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great flash fiction story! You should send this in to some ezines. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm he *was* hott. and you, the teacher's pet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LT, yeah, that's pretty much it. Weird experience, huh?

    David and Caroline, you will probably think me dumb, but I honestly believe he did this just to be nice. I was SO shy and new to this school. I didn't talk to anyone much in the class and he'd always joke that there were so many songs with my name in it. I think he gave it as a self esteem boost and kind gesture. Again, I may be stupid I guess. But REALLY? The guy DID look like Brad Pitt and I was certainly the gangly teenager.

    Aubrie, I've never looked into the ezine route. You need to teach me of your ways!

    Karen, hopefully you're not saying "Wow, you're an idiot!" ;)

    Cam, glad to have a witness. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I'm saying Wow that was an incredible bit of writing, and this is exactly why you got published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you know 24 and 16 is only 8 years apart. So when you are 24 he will be 32. And that is like nothing. But you are married and he is probably married, so it doesn't matter.

    I had a crush on my 24 year old single teacher when I was 14, and I thought about that a lot. But he didn't look like Brad Pitt, not even close. He just made me laugh. So it happens, and then we grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! Thanks, Karen!

    L, watch out. I actually got two full blown paragraphs out of you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aye aye aye... delicious writing, my dear! The novel follows, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, if I could come up with a story I was in love with enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He made a "mixed tape" for you?! That's just so 1980's and a bit disconcerting! Nice, but a little creepy. It certainly brings to mind some of my teenaged-crushes. Bet if you saw him now, you wouldn't think he's all that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading it. Reminds me of my teenage crushes. No handsome teacher, though. Mary, Mary, Mary. AWWW! Is there a follow up? It'd be great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm laughing over L.A. DeVaul saying "when you are 24..." are you there yet, Mary? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!!! LOL (in disbelief)... I was looking for contact information for my high school calculus teacher and I came across your story. WOW! I have no idea who you are, but I am VERY certain the Mr. Schupp you write about is my old teacher. Best teacher I've ever had, and yes many of my classmates had crushes on him as well! I could go on and on about the guy, but I think your beautiful story says it all. THANK YOU, this made my day :)

    ReplyDelete