
What a fresh approach for recording family history! Karen Jones Gowen brings a foreign era to an accessible format via folklore—telling her mother’s story of growing up in rural
I was shocked to nearly feel that the story was a horror film! Snakes, rodents, and possums terrorized the characters and cow brains, pig hearts and livers filled their bellies. The protagonist was so awesomely tough that she clubbed an angry opossum on the head—as a kid. Her mother slaughtered seventeen rodents with a hand shovel!
Lest I put Farm Girl in an unfairly brutal light, I must also mention the beauty of the story. This is a true story of strong farmers who lived off their own land and worked together in a community where honesty and goodness were the norm. But again, I must say I enjoyed this story very much and nearly felt I was reading Fantasy, the setting and circumstances were so foreign. And the numerous authentic photos were the absolute cream.
Sometimes when I get to feeling like life is tough because the basement flooded again and the kids are coughing so that we have to give them that damn medicine again, I think of the people who had no medicine, no basement to flood, no shop vac with which to get rid of the water, no washing machine to clean the soggy clothes, and I think I'm a tiny bit spoiled. This book seems to reinforce that. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI love to find history and see it breathe. I recently had this same kind of experience and it gave me so much appreciation for my freedom and the country I live in.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThanks for affirming the perspective, Simon and L.T. It's so true.
ReplyDeleteYour lovely blog has been awarded! Have a look at
ReplyDeletehttp://flyhigh-by-learnonline.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-lovely-blog-one-lovely-day.html
Love this review. I especially enjoyed hearing your take, knowing it is so far from your usual fare. Thanks, Mary!
ReplyDeletenow you REALLY have to read the glass castle! sounds like they are a similar subject. really made me appreciate everything in my life! grats on your award! =)
ReplyDeleteI read an excerpt of this book and was drawn to the voice... direct, simple. Love that. I will have to read the whole thing, I guess! Thanks for the review!
ReplyDelete