I was one of those idiots that struggled thus studied extremely hard in high school to manage straight A's. So then I went to college and knowing I'm not brilliant (even my own mother advised me against enrolling in those honors classes) I studied sixty times harder and did pretty well. But never once did I schedule my study sessions, set goals for myself, or instill any of that ridiculous organization stuff. Nope--I rebel from structure. Let it be obliterated! Yet I love structure in others. And I'm happiest in a clean house.
Hmmm, but what do I vaguely hope for this year without penning those goals with a specificity from which I might surely shrink?
- Finish editing my book and see it in print
- Finish renovating my house
- Read scriptures more
- Expand my Goodreads bookshelves
- Finish writing my Ava and Logan story
- Be nicer to my husband/kiddos
- Balance time better for my fam
Those are great goals! Time with family was one of last year's goals for me, and now I go home to see my parents and eat lunch with them about once a week. It's great.
ReplyDeleteAlso, being nicer is a great goal. I need that one, too. I think everyone does. haha
Vague is good.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a huge New Years girl, myself. I'm taking a 21 day approach. I'm just going to promise myself 21 days to try and create some habits--not 365. It feels much more doable to me and if at the end of those 21 days I've done what I set out to do, I'll promise myself another 21.
ReplyDeleteWell, since Thomas Edison said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration," it bodes well for you that you're willing to work hard toward your goals. Keep at it in the new year, good lady. Best of luck!
ReplyDelete(I'm working on writing and querying my 1st novel, so there's my vague resolution. :)
Mary, perhaps you should look more at what you accomplished in the last year (or last few years)! You are amazing. You have a adoring/adorable husband, you have two delightful children, you have a huge home that you are bringing into this decade, and you had a publisher take on your story, and you are now officially published. You're doing great, kiddo! I'm so proud of you and love you so much. You're fabulous. Don't beat yourself up with impossibly difficult goals. Baby steps each day. Love ya like a sister. . . OK, well, you are my sister. Proud to claim ya.
ReplyDeleteLOL, me
You remind me of a friend that claimed she hated structure. I laughed and said, "Melanie, you are one of the most structured people I know. You just don't like other people dictating your schedule."
ReplyDeleteRemember your post about children's playtime ending in time for your coveted writing time? Sounds a little like structure and goals. :)