Sunday, February 14, 2010

Epiphanies

I used to wish I could have the time and stamina to write an entire novel in one sitting. I KNOW it's impossible, but wouldn't that be hecka awesome???

But last night I got to a scene I really didn't feel like writing and didn't know how to proceed. So I closed my laptop, joined Grayman in watching the Olympics then went to bed. The next morning, while blow drying my hair, I didn't even realize I was thinking about my novel when the most BRILLIANT idea occurred to me--something that will really help me with my next scene.

So, no, it probably wouldn't be best for me to write a novel in one sitting, 'cause really, how many brilliant ideas can we come up with after a single sitting?

Besides that, not only would I need fake eyeballs but also a prosthetic tush.

9 comments:

  1. Yup, it would be awesome but so many things change through my novel writing process. The first sitting version would be so boring. The best ideas are usually epiphanies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... you could probably write a bad novel in one sitting, although for me it would probably be more of a really bad short story. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many ideas come to me in the process of writing a novel that IF I had finished it entire even in that month or so-it wouldn't be as good or full of life as the one that takes months to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are soooo right! This has occurred to me as well. The best ideas come to us when we least expect it! Best to take some time with a novel then (and probably also a good reason to take a little time with a short story, which I never seem able to do).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! very good point! I'm always shocked at how many good ideas come to me when I'm thinking about something else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides bathroom breaks and sleep, the moments to contemplate the places where writers get stuck necessitate the need for breaks. The only downside of the aha moments is when a you can't write or type it down then and there, so I keep playing it in my head so I don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how those ideas pop up when my mind is elsewhere. They're always the best ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true! I find when I'm doing the after-school shuffle, driving the kids around, I am thinking (which is scary considering I am in control of a large vehicle) about my story and things happen there. Good stuff, and I hurry home.

    ReplyDelete