Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Basic Needs of Our Characters

Professor Steven Reiss identified sixteen basic human desires. I've found this list extremely helpful in identifying outlying characters' basic needs. One of the biggest elements I know publishers, editors, and agents want to see in our work is a main character who wants something...wants something BAD. (Excuse the poor grammar, but sometimes I just gotta write the way I talk, be it hick or valley girl. This is just what you get.)

Reiss' list:
  • Acceptance, the need for approval
  • Curiosity, the need to think
  • Eating, the need for food
  • Family, the need to raise children
  • Honor, the need to be loyal to the traditional values of one's clan/ethnic group
  • Idealism, the need for social justice
  • Independence, the need for individuality
  • Order, the need for organized, stable, predictable environments
  • Physical Activity, the need for exercise
  • Power, the need for influence of will
  • Romance, the need for sex
  • Saving, the need to collect
  • Social Contact, the need for friends (peer relationships)
  • Status, the need for social standing/importance
  • Tranquility, the need to be safe
  • Vengeance, the need to strike back

As I've mentioned before, I've had some silhouetted characters that I wasn't entirely sure what they wanted. I knew what four-five characters wanted, but the others were sketchy. But looking at this list helps SO much. I'm so excited to go back in my current WIP and make sure these motivations are demonstrated by these characters' actions. It will really help them come alive and make writing them more fun.

I was thinking about one basic need though. What about the need to create? Where does that fit? Thoughts? Also, vengeance and power is always a popular choice for antagonists. What need are you exploring in stories or in the real world?

12 comments:

  1. One thing to remember though, is that survival is number one. Food, water, shelter. So if your character's homeless, it doesn't ring true to have them coveting designer handbags. The basic need list has to make sense in priority imho. And thanks for that link to Larry Brooks. I am having so much fun analyzing it on my blog while working through it on my wip. All thanks to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just copy pasted this list to a microsoft word document. This is very helpful! I have smaller characters that don't seem to want anything either....now they will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing as Aubrey. Thanks. My WIP characters are using Family, Honor, Status, and Power. I wonder if the need to create could go with curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. It's always good to be reminded of things like this. I started a book today and wondered how it ever got published. The character seems shallow, it moves to fast to be realistic and I wish I could have edited it! LOL It's so weird, but makes me feel like I've learned something about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an excellent list! Thank you for sharing this. I'm already all abuzz with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list, and I'm glad that you posted it.

    One need missing:

    Rest, the need for sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, Karen. I almost posted a needs hierarchy that had the basic basics listed on the bottom but opted for this one instead. Thanks for the reminder!

    Karen and Aubrie! Yay I actually helped!!

    Melissa, woot, woot! You're learning so much about the craft that you can actually edit now too.

    LT, glad you liked it. Theresa, OH so true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this list! I agree with Kate about creation coming under curiosity... maybe the desire to discover? I think humans, intentional or not, possess the desire to find their divine nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From this list, the need of protagonist in my WIP is Honor. The need of my antagonist is Vengeance. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read a blog a few days ago where someone posted about the heirarchy of needs, I think it was Maslow sp? So yeah, I guess that's what I was referring to with the homeless shoe comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there! Just passing by to see if everything is Ok with you and your writing. It seems so and I'm glad for you. As for your list, I can't find my basic need among your list. Maybe it is not there 'cause it would be useless to the aim of creating an interesting fictional character in a novel. In my real life I'm experiencing the need to relax, to stop messing about, to calm down and enjoying doing the least that I can. It is something unknown to me but ... can I say that I'm totally, deeply, enjoying being at home and not being able to do what I should? Little health problems help a lot and make you see life from another perspective. So, my need is to learn how to enjoy life doing as little as I can (apart from reading).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maria, thanks for the comment. I'm sorry your health isn't where you want it to be. :( That would be hard. You have a great attitude to bear yourself up. Thanks for sharing so much goodness to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete