Friday, February 5, 2010

Review: IF I STAY by Gayle Forman

The ending to this book was perfect. It had the closure I needed with an upbeat zing.


I liked how Shalane pointed out that the story was told in the present tense with segments told in past. I really paid attention to this and agree that the author, Gayle Forman, pulled it off.


I liked the story. I don’t want to say anything about it because I don’t want to give it away, but it’s YA, romance, and a bit of the paranormal (my usual favorite mix). I thought the characters were very real—the parents were especially interesting and likable—and I thought the romance between Mia and Adam was sweet.

But a caution to readers that this is another book that accepts teenage sex and lets the characters who might swear actually swear.


I think the writer is extremely talented and like her writing style. This paragraph was my favorite—it made me smile:


“Blood. It is everywhere. It does not faze the doctors one bit. They slice and sew and suction through a river of it, like they are washing dishes in soapy water.”


Just so nobody thinks I’m a sadist, I didn’t smile because of the Mia’s pain and blood but because of the author’s simile, like they are washing dishes in soapy water. Oh that is beautiful. It made me want to finish the book quickly, and I did.

11 comments:

  1. I read that awhile back and loved it. The brain/cauliflower part made me gag a little, but I'm a wuss when it comes to that stuff.

    Big thumb up to Gayle.

    Oh, and I LOVE Blue October too. One of my fav bands of all time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it too, Karen. It was definitely unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an incredible excerpt, in my opinion. I'll have to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Very honest and to the point. My YA writing doesn't have any sex or swearing, so I don't know if I would mind it in this book. It depends on how its handled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it, I just finished The Adoration of Jenna Fox and also really enjoyed it! It was such an interesting idea for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this, though the struggle against "staying" didn't ring super true for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caroline, I can see your complaint. I DID expect there to be something more catastrophic that would make her more want to leave.

    Thanks, Avalon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a little paranormal mixed in with romance, so I'm going to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished it. I loved the way the story was all woven together (present and past).

    ReplyDelete