Monday, March 1, 2010

"Awkward and Wordy"

I just got back a portion of my MS from my editor. Her most common complaint? "Awkward and wordy." Whew! Good thing they took me anyway! Now I have two books to edit. Anyone else sending their bones through the grinder?

14 comments:

  1. I hate editing! And that's all I did on my week long break: edited two novels. And I had my share of awkward and wordy. I hate to cut words, but it does sound better afterwards. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awkward and wordy is at least fixable! Take the scissors and cut, snip, rework! You'll have it fixed in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. I'm just glad my editor took the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it will be wonderful in the end. The hard part is getting to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While it's probably nicer to hear "Perfect, just like you," that's probably not realistic. Good luck with the edits. Can't be too bad if the publisher likes your book enough to publish it.

    I won't let myself write anything new until I finish editing two manuscripts. It's killing me, but I have to stick with it or I'll just abandon two pieces I want to go somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Two at the same time, huh? Is your brain fried yet? I'm in the middle of a huge revision and it's eating up my head but I'm still enjoying it. I took a breather with writing something new but I had to deny myself the pleasure or I might toss over the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, LT, it's nice to know someone else is knee deep. Keep plugging along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that's easy. Just take out the awkwardness and cut words. ;)
    My work will be put through the grinder soon. It's almost beta season.
    Good luck with editing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right, Karen. Why didn't I think of that?? I'm excited for you to send your stuff out to beta readers. What an exciting stage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If your editor were saying "your story question stinks" or "your characters are hollow and uninteresting" or "this is the most boring, ridiculous, poorly written, unenjoyable manuscript I've ever read" THEN you would have reason to fret. Awkward and wordy is completely fixable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is good news. Like everyone has already said, awkward and wordy can be fixed. Hang in there. It will get better. And what an awesome problem to have, two books coming out. Wow! Where to go!!! Write on...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes. I'm wading through crunching bones with each step. Awkward and wordy can be fixed. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm stopping back by here. An award is waiting for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete