Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Embracing Indifference

“I would recommend the cultivation of extreme indifference to both praise and blame, because praise will lead you to vanity and blame will lead you to self-pity, and both are bad for writers.”
--John Berryman

I stole this quote from David Farland's Daily Kick in the Pants email today, but, as you can see, he stole it from John Berryman first. I Googled Berryman to see who he is. Be honest, before you read on. Do you know this guy? He was an American poet. And Chris, if you read this, he was from Oklahoma! But I pause to tell you the fate of this man. He was born in 1914 and died in 1972. How did he die? Of all things, suicide. Now I'm not here to say this man was a lousy hypocrite. I don't know squat about him--but you must admit it is ironic that he who advises indifference took his own life.

Both of my stories are in the hands of critics. Critics are good; as I've mentioned before, my work would be dribble otherwise. I've come across two funny mistakes this week:

1) In my first story I'd written "bazaar" instead of "bizarre." Ha! And nobody had caught it yet!!

2) In my second story I wrote "rode" instead of "road." Nathan Bransford just posted about homophones. I rolled my eyes--like I'll ever make that mistake.

3) I wrote a letter only to have my sistah point out I'd written succeeded instead of seceded. WOW, I swear I know the difference between these words.

So criticism is good. Of course some of our greatest changes are often much more than changes with silly little words. ALTHOUGH I do agree with Donald Maas when he says diction is often the biggest indicator of the strength of a writer.

But indifference to criticism. This can be a hard attitude to adopt. Especially when we dump the mac and cheese cheese packet in the boiling pot of water instead of the noodles cuz we're so hung up on the brilliance of our stories. Or we slap our cheeks, sprint across our house at 11 pm cuz we just need to progress with the pen but our minds are too asleep. (Anyone else fighting the urge to seek out ephedrine?)

One more thought about criticism, though I feel silly bringing up Nathan Bransford again, but I thought this to be great advice. He said if your editor says to change something and you get angry about it that probably means the editor is right. But if the editor says something, and you cock your head to the side and think "You know, I really don't think so," and stick out a pinky while drinking lemonade or tea, that probably means you have a point. Talk it over.

Indifference. It's a foreign concept but I will try my best to embrace it.


17 comments:

  1. Wonderful post today, M!! (I love the name M.-- I feel like I'm in a James Bond movie whenever I say it)

    I've read so many writing books that are against sharing your work with critique groups, writing groups for critique, etc etc etc. Probably for the reasons mentioned above, as well as for others. Sol Stein for one recommends against it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me M whenever you want, Xena.

    Sol Stein rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I get they're and their confused a lot, even though I know the difference. I think the bizarre/bazaar one is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. And timely, too. It seems like a lot of us are dealing with the idea and/or repercussions of critiques/criticism. So this makes good advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indifference? For writers? Yeah, right. John Berryman's suicide clears that up.

    All of your mistakes are similar to ones I've made. I'm more apt to make mistakes when I'm tired (which is almost always) when writing. You know how you separate "a" from "lot" in a lot? I find myself doing that withy ANY word that starts with an a. I've also had problems with those pesky homophones. I tend to write "that" instead of "than".

    My philosophy is that without praise, we whither because there's no encouragement and without criticism we whither, because there's no growth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I need to work on that one.
    I stumbled onto your blog at another sit. I really like what I've read so far. If you don't mind I think I'll tag along.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *love* critiques. I fail to see not only what's wrong with my writing, but how to fix it. I could not be a writer without strong people critiquing me.

    The 'bazaar' one is funny. "How bazaar." Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm bad with hear/here, your/you're, and a couple more. Like you, I know the difference. I think it's our fingers in revolt - out to show us who's really the boss.

    Oh, and "Especially when we dump the mac and cheese cheese packet in the boiling pot of water instead of the noodles cuz we're so hung up on the brilliance of our stories." I know you're not suprised that I've done this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aubrie, who cares about this. I CAN'T believe how well you play the flute.

    Sarah, I saw you blogged about this today too. Great minds think alike.

    It's true, Theresa. 'Tis the other side of the coin.

    Pat, thanks for stopping by!! Glad I didn't chase you away!

    Tamara, you've always been a good example of this.

    Carol--whew! I'm not insane!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just posted about criticism on the MMW blog I contribute to. I definitely think thoughts of acceptance/indifference is in the air.

    Homophones are so fun.

    Awe eye want two due is secede en live.

    Whatever that means.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you love David's daily kick in the pants? I just adore them.

    Embracing indifference. I've never looked at it that way before. I wish you the very best luck and success, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand exactly what you're saying. I know the difference, too, but sometimes writer's blindness kicks in and things happen. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyed this post. I love your humor and the acknowledgment of your writing mistakes! That takes balls, oops, I mean courage! he he. Anyway, I get Nathan's email too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber Lynae, will you share your MMW link?

    LT, glad you get those emails too. He's SO insightful.

    Thanks, Kathi!

    Melissa, you can say balls anytime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, nm, Amber. MMW is Mormon Mommy Writers. I think I'm already following that one. It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Critique is not only good it's vital.

    I can identify with your typos.
    My manuscript had "accident" instead of "accent".
    It wasn't picked until my mum (an ex-English teacher) read it.
    That was after about 12 other people had read it, including copyeditors.

    Al

    Publish or Perish

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, thanks for stopping by, Al. Hey, everyone, someone from Australia came to my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete