Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Review: FALLEN by Lauren Kate

I judged the book by its cover with Fallen. That's why I checked it out from the library. After my friend, Erica, rated it pretty low, I was curious to see what I thought. I really, really wanted to like this book. I really, really liked aspects of this book. I loved the concept--it has to do with fallen angels and how it ties in with the war in heaven. But it's definitely Twilightesque (which sometimes made it feel a bit unoriginal).

The setting was great. The story takes place in the creepiest reform school you could imagine. I liked the protagonist, though she sometimes felt a little whiny, and I really liked her friends and the villain. But I absolutely abhorred the narrator's voice. The story was told in subjective third person and I honestly wanted to wrinkle my nose at her writing for three quarters of the book. I almost put the book down, I was so annoyed by it. But then three-quarters through it got really good. The action picked up and the villain showed his true colors, which was really fun. But the narrator's voice bothered me so much I almost wonder how it got picked up by a literary agent and then was picked up by Delacorte Press for big cash! Did the editor there like the narrator? Or am I just getting old? The narrator spoke like the protagonist. There was even a part when the narrator said: "Oh. My Gosh." And this story wasn't told in first person! Of course I wish it was, but I know that's my own personal issue with every book I read. I liked the accessibility of the voice but it was almost too much. Too personal for third person.

LOVE the cover of this book. And the concept. But I'm torn. Will I read the next books in the series? *sigh* I don't know!

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were disappointed. It looks like it should be good. Maybe that was supposed to be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy that is wierd to be told in subjective third person. I've never read a book like that before. I love your review, it's so honest and helps me decide whether I want to read this or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY Gosh. Ugh, I can't even finish a book if I don't like the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe Karen, you crack me up. Aubrie, thanks. I try to be. Sarah, thanks for feelin' my pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same reaction as you! I so wanted to like the book. I checked it out from the library based on a book trailer that reeled me in. disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HATE the too-personal-third-person narration in books, it drives me crazy! I was on the fence about reading this one, but I think I'll pass. I always like reading your reviews, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really, really liked this review. it's fair and honest without being mean -- and you've got a good eye for what doesn't seem to be working. i really appreciate the insight. i wasn't sure if i wanted to read this book. now i have something to think about.

    thanks for sharing! great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, Tahereh. And congrats on finding representation!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book! I haven't read many all positive reviews of it though... Maybe I read it while in a really good mood? Who knows =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought things like "Oh my gosh" was a big no no because it pulls readers out of the story.

    It definitely does have an enticing cover. As far as unlikable protagonists, I found Bella to be the whiniest, most unlikable character, but I think I'm in the minority. If my newest manuscript goes anywhere, my biggest fear is that it will be called "Twilightesque", although I wrote it before I read Meyer's book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been out of town and have missed your blog!
    I do not like books in narration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I have to look up the difference between third person and subjective third person. Should I be riddled with anxiety about the perspective in my own stories? Aaggghhhhh! I'm Googling it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara, I'm glad for the author you like her book. I liked a lot of it. There were so many elements I enjoyed.

    Theresa, that's funny you thought Bella was whiny. I didn't feel that way at all! But I know a lot of people complain about Meyer's books. But I love them.

    Avalon, welcome back!!

    Krista, I'm so sure you're fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this book, although I've seen the cover all over the blogosphere. Your review was well-balanced and honest, which I appreciate a lot.

    (*blush*) I prefer books written in third person subjective, which to me offers the same intimacy as first person without the constraint of only seeing the story through the filter of one character's perception. What I least appreciate is third person omniscient narration, when I know what's making every character tick. Sensory overload! I'm writing my WIP with multiple narrators, but only one third person limited POV per chapter.

    I'm sorry it's taken me so long to realize I hadn't visited chez vous all this time! I'm excited to learn you have a book coming out, and a spec fi novel, at that! Fantastic!! I have a HUGE respect for your genre. I competed in a contest last year that lasted six weeks; each round eliminated participants until a winner was crowned. Most round prompts dealt with speculative fiction. My stories were...how shall I say...bizarre and...not very strong. I managed to out-write most of the other contestants and finished third overall. I learned a lot, noteably that spec fi is hard (for me) to write.

    I'd love to hear more about your writing journey, how you found your genre, and how you approach the task of suspending your readers' disbelief within the realm of spec fi!

    Until then, have a fab St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Nicole, for stopping by! You're with Karen, then. She loves third person subjective. And you're both editors so I respect your opinions. :)

    Good job making third place! What was this contest?

    I love spec fic cuz I love the escape from reality, but sometimes get turned off by the hard core fantasy stuff. To me, speculative fiction is the best of both worlds. How did I *find* my genre? It's just what interests me the most. The one WiDo is publishing is actually the first novel I've ever written and it was just a concept I fell in love with that I hadn't heard being used before. My brothers pulled me into the Trekkie world growing up, and now all my favorite stories are a mix of reality with fantasy. I do like regency era stuff too, but the grittier stuff is my truest passion.

    I have another story in the works right now. Beta readers are going through it to prove how I can make it better. It's darker than the first--dystopia by genre. And sometimes I wonder who I think I am. Writing fiction?? But there are so many writers! But it's what I love, so it's what I do.

    What's your truest genre, Nicole?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love third person subjective, especially from multiple viewpoints. It's my favorite. Close in, it's as intimate as first person, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another vote for 3rd obj. Thanks for the opinion, Carol. :)

    ReplyDelete