But some voices stick out more than others, and I have found one in a book my good friend, Shalane, asked us to read for book club. A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel is not a book I would typically pick up. It's a memoir, with a cover like the front of a 1950s parenting magazine.

But I trust Shalane's judgement, and am laughing out loud several times as payment. I got a kick out of this excerpt:
"The first time I ever truly grasped the concept of chromosomes, and the transmission of DNA, I was sitting in the truck with Dad, giving him some sideways looks. Earlier that day I had walked into a bait shop, and before I could say anything, the old man behind the counter had said, "You must be Bob Jarvis's daughter." I was unaccustomed to looking in mirror, wth good reason, but after that comment, all the way to the lake, I peeked into the big side mirror on Dad's truck, trying to see what the old man saw. I looked at myself. I looked at my dad. My suspicion that I hadn't actually been purchased from gypsies, as my family insisted, seemed to be confirmed.
"It appeared that I had been split down the middle by my parents, genetically, to my misfortune. I had my dad's curly hair and his long face and his very big, round eyes, but my eyes were close set, like my mom's. I had Mom's nose and her little square chin and her tiny mouth, with Dad's huge teeth in them. I had Dad's giraffe neck and his hands and feet and Mom's short torso and long legs. On the whole, I couldn't imagine a worse outcome. I slumped against the truck door."
Kimmel's entire book reads like this. She tells her story from the voice of a little girl and it is SO believable and wonderfully quirky. I look forward to book club. Thanks, Shalane!
Sounds good and very coincidental since I just did a post on memoir and the book we're reading for book club.
ReplyDeletebook clubs are so fun for finding new reads. It's not a book I'd normally pick up, either. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendation! I will bring this one up at book club.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great excerpt! I'll have to pick it up. =]
ReplyDeleteMary, good timing! I looked on your blog.
ReplyDeleteTamara, yes. We help each other explore different worlds we wouldn't normally try.
Krista, you definitely should.
LT, let me know what you think.
Thanks so much for putting this up. My WIP is in first person and I've been wondering about my choice for that and the novel's tone for a while now. This makes me feel better. :)
ReplyDeleteomg that sounds great!!! thanks for the rec!! hehe i love a good laugh :D
ReplyDeleteSarahjayne, you'll always find a proponent for first person POV here!!
ReplyDeleteTahereh, glad you like!!
I don't usually read memoires, but I loved that excerpt! I used to look at both my parents and wonder what came from what myself as well :)
ReplyDeleteI read this for a book club a few years ago and felt the same way you did. Very entertaining. I ended up including it in a soldier care package...figured they could use some laughs.
ReplyDeleteI still have a lot to read before book club, but I'm determined to finish...it's not a hard read and so enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteAubrie, I don't either, but it would be well worth your time!
ReplyDeleteCaroline, great idea.
Andrea, see you Wednesday. You can finish it by then!
Don't you love finding surprises like this one? Makes my day when it happens. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteSounds original and interesting.
ReplyDeleteI’d like to invite you and your readers to join us in a blogging challenge for the month of April. Check it out at Blogging From A to Z
ReplyDeleteLee
I liked the excerpt. Unique voice!
ReplyDeleteOur voice is hard to be objective about. The more seasoned I get as a writer, the more I understand which manuscripts have it and which don't. I wonder if you can add it in once it's written? That's probably why agents say to abandon earlier works and start from scratch. Ugh.
Carol, you're absolultely right.
ReplyDeleteAvalon, it is!
Theresa, yes, I can see why agents would say that. I wrote a short story in two completely different voices and it was absolutely terrible. I doubt I'll ever revisit it again!
Someone suggested to me in a book club a few months ago the book, "Alas, Babylon." 1960s (50s?) book about if an atomic bomb war happened on US soil. very fascinating. I never would have read it otherwise.
ReplyDeleteIt's moments like those that I realize maybe it IS good I don't shut myself up in my house (though it is sorely tempting). :)
ReplyDeleteI thought you'd appreciate this:
ReplyDeletehttp://stiryourtea.blogspot.com/2010/03/impotence-of-proofreading.html
Ha ha, thanks, Theresa. I love Tahera's blog, too. She's hilarious.
ReplyDelete