Friday, April 2, 2010

East Coast Happenings

Guess who I got to meet today? None other than the fabulous WiDo contracted author, Ann Best. Ann has a book scheduled for relase this summer, a memoir entitled, In the Mirror. I'm so eager to read it--especially after learning WiDo's "somewhat cynical" acquistions editor was in tears after reading only a few pages. Within the book Ann shares some of the most devestating trials anyone could ever endure. It was such a privelege to meet with this experienced and wiry author within my own home.

But what are the odds? We live less than two hours from each other. Who knew we would both submit to the same new publishing company and both obtain contracts within six months of each other?

Ann has experience--something I don't. She taught English at BYU and has been perfecting her memoir for many years. She has many other credentials, but regardless, I look foward to maintaining our friendship. It was also great to meet her sweet daughter, Jen, who was severely injured in an accident many years ago. Both are an inspiration as Ann cares for her daughter and Jen kept me smiling the entire time. But, Jen? Go twenty-seven! And the color green! Jen took a pic for us. (Note to self: do not stand above the photographer. Chins do not like the effect.)

19 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I've gotten to know Ann through emails and blogging, although she struggles terribly with her blog/website set up. Too bad, because she has SO MUCH to say and says it with such flair and talent. I keep trying to convince her to go to blogger, it's much easier for us non techies to manage than wordpress imho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we could edit our comments... She'll keep at it. It took me a while to get the hang of blogging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful and inspiring visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's awesome! how did you guys manage to arrange that? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making those links is fantastic!

    Ah, the gentle art of camera portraiture. 99% of piccies of me never get to see the light of day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al, yeah. I hate pics!!

    Krista, it was.

    Tamara, we've been in touch the last couple of months, and since she has family in Manassas, I invited her over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the pic, reminds me of
    "I want You for the U.S. Army" Uncle Sam ones.

    Not that Ann looks like Uncle Sam, just the pose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful title for a blog:
    Ήθος, Λόγος, Πάθος...
    Just perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you got to meet. It's a nice coincidence that you live near one another and are represented by the same agent.

    When my children take pictures of me, I try to be lower - I'm so vain! But you both look great, even from the low angle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always nice to meet another writer face to face. Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. How cool is that? I'm a little jealous since you guys look so happy in that picture. :)
    But seriously, I'm really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting meetings can make our day. I agree with you. We can learn so much from each other when we are ready to listen. Very often we aren't.
    BTW, I just dropped by to wish you a happy Spring/Easter break time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live on the East Coast, too! (In southern NH) Maybe you live near me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a perfect Good Friday visit for me and my daughter with Mary!! She's a gracious and lovely host. I'm very anxious to read her contracted novel. She's an excellent writer! I know this because she shared through email one of her published short-short stories.
    My daughter Jen had a great day. It was a lively three-way conversation. Jen loves to talk and Mary was a great listener.
    From all these comments I feel like I just met many new friends.
    Theresa says she's a bit vain. I think I am where pictures are concerned now that I'm getting "older." The camera and mirror show all the lines, so keeping some distance is best. This picture of me and Mary was difficult to get because Jen was trying to snap it with her only good hand, her left (she was left-handed before the accident as she always tells everyone); she can't really use her right one. But I'm trying not to let what the camera says bother me since the aging process does and will get to all of us if we live long enough! Jen just said, as I read this out loud, that the aging process just gives me more to write about!! SO. The picture here called up an image for David. And to think we wanted to try another shot. But Jen and I had to leave, and so we ended up with Mary looking lovely and me looking like "Uncle Sam" (the pose--good thing you said that! I'm smiling . . .)
    To Mary about editing comments. I think you can do this on Word Press. To Karen: I am finally getting more relaxed with the program. One of my problems with putting up photos is that my old scanner and Photo Deluxe programs aren't compatible with my newer Vista computer (ah, technology again). So I scan into my old laptop, touch up the photos, then bring them into Word Press. Can't afford new equipment so I work with what I'm dealt. Isn't that like life.
    To Aubrie: Years ago I was in New Hampshire--when my first husband was in graduate school in Storrs, Connecticut. I love New England. I remember the White Mountains. How close is that to you? Your blog and website are stunning. I just went into them through this link. (Mary has set up some wonderful links!) Your resume is so intriguing I want to look up your titles.
    And to Maria: Listening is something so many of us don't do as we get so caught up in the rush of the world. Time to slow down, listen, look. Especially during this time of year in Virginia I want to visually absorb the gorgeous blossoms that are everywhere--that are so fleeting. That are gone in almost an eye blink if we don't pause NOW and look. A beautiful flowering for this Easter season.
    Happy spring to everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So many great comments!!

    venthesikymi, thank you for stopping by! Wow, someone who really speaks Greek came to MY blog. I visited yours but I would have to copy and paste every sentence into Google's translator. So thanks for saying "hi," and you're welcome back any time.

    Theresa, we'll have the same strategy taking pics.

    Carol, Sarahjayne, thanks for cheering us on.

    Maria, happy Easter to you, too. How is Easter in Italy?

    Aubrie, we're in Virginia. I live 30 miles from Washington, D.C. If you're ever in this direction, I would love to meet!!

    Ann, I should just turn my blog over to you. You're much better at commenting on the comments. I had hoped my front tree would be in bloom when you were here, but no such luck. I hope you and Jen have a wonderful Easter. It's my favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky you! I am glad for you.
    Chin....You are beautiful and I would not say that unless it was true.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Avalon. :) Happy Easter to you, too.

    ReplyDelete