Monday, April 19, 2010

Interview: David J. West and FREE Book

You know that book I reviewed yesterday? Heroes of the Fallen? Well if you haven’t read my review yet, STOP READING THIS. You NEED to read my review.

Okay. Did you read it? I mean it. Stop reading right now. Scroll down. ALLL the way down. Read the review. You must. Cuz now you’ll see why I want to bother interviewing the lousy, unoriginal, unabashedly painful—wait, wait. Wrong author. *clears throat*

David J. West wrote the most original and entertaining book tied to The Book of Mormon I have ever seen. His villains are freaky and intriguing and I absolutely love his book. But that still doesn’t mean I won’t get dirt on this talented author. Just watch me. :)

But before I start the interview, you absolutely MUST watch his book trailer. I LOVE THIS BOOK TRAILER! You will regret not watching it if you don’t.




Yeah, that pretty much forces you to read the book, huh??

Now we may proceed to the interview!! David. Thank you for agreeing to be interviewed on MY blog.

David: Thank you for having me.

Mary: Today I am separating your interview into three distinct parts: metaphor, music, and memory. Ready for the first category? Metaphor?

David: All experience is for my good. Ask away.

Mary: I consider you the most talented author I know when it comes to metaphor usage. Everyone, check out this segment from Heroes:

“You were missed.” It was the bone dry voice of Menares, the ugly old priest. His ratty gray hair and big nose stuck out from his face like the splayed branches of a dead diseased tree. The dirty maroon cloak he wore stunk of vile smoke, burned flesh and singed hair. Congealed gore had stained his hands a violent crimson, looking black in the darkness.

How do you do it, David? It would be one thing if you had just a couple, but your book is FILLED with descriptions like these. How do you get your mind to work like this? I try, and it sometimes takes hours to come up with ONE good metaphor.

David: Thank you for that. I'm a Cancer and it's all about feeling. I write what I like to read and along the way hope other people like it too. Part of it is cathartic and part is wanting to be sure I express these things to others. How do I express what I want to others? By finding the right symbolism I can to give them.

But I am also a poet and like to throw down the gauntlet of entertaining prose. I enjoy the right balance of Phoenician prose and there is a trick to it. I find the ones that are burned into my brain and then return the favor to the reader.

Mary: I agree there is a trick to it. I couldn’t imitate your type of metaphors. It’s a special gift, but probably something you’ve honed through your reading. Which books do you accredit your ability for delivering these metaphors so naturally?

David: Probably all the colorful old fantasies I like to read by Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, Karl Edward Wagner and the more familiar J.R.R. Tolkien. All of their stories stick with me longer than transparent and minimalist prose does, and for me, its about what sticks with you.

Mary: Now we move onto our second category, music. I believe you’ve mentioned certain bands and songs have been your inspiration for writing your villains. Care to share which bands?

David: I listen to mood music when I write, often it is instrumental like Basil Poledouris, Hans Zimmer, Trevor Jones, and Howard Shore but there are exceptions to the instrumental rule. I like the ominous sinister urge of Rammstein for the action points with the villains, the Gadianton Robbers. Symphonic metal became a favorite when I began this project because I love the blend of hard and sweeping melodic rock, it just sounds like the epic novel soundtrack to me.

Mary: I’m with you on Rammstein. I was listening to them the other day while writing a violent scene and my husband just burst out laughing. He loves it. I love your description of symphonic rock. You call it hard and sweeping. I could describe your book that way. How about music for your romance?

David: It's a small part in Heroes of the Fallen but Haza (Anathoth's wife) is based on Ofra Haza, the Israeli singer. I wanted to name her Ofra but didn't for obvious reasons. I was also inspired by some of the tongue in cheek love-songs of Morrissey.

Mary: How about for the protagonists?

David: Besides the instrumental scores already mentioned, I would include Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Led Zeppelin, Joy Division and Sarah Brightman. Basically the stuff I like to listen to when I am driving. A lot of good outlining happens in my mind when I am driving.

Mary: If you could have readers listen to ONE song related to your book, what would you pick?

David: Well related in my mind. It would probably be 'Last of the Wilds' by Nightwish.

Mary: Well, guess what. We’re going to listen to it right now. And I’m serious. Don’t go on to the next question. Click the little song and listen. You’ll see David has some rockin’ tastes in music. First, though, why this song?

David: It makes me picture a main character (Amaron) running through the woods, pursued by a pack of bloodthirsty trackers, and the music to me also sings he is doing clever things to escape and evade them.


Mary: I love this. It sounds like your book. Good intent, action packed scenes, many things to come. I like your visual for the song, too. How about Zelph? Do you have a song for him?

David: When I listen to Das Boot by Klaus Doldinger, I think of Zelph and not U-Boats, but thats just me. It's a great song that portrays that sense of depth, honesty and vitality that I want my writing about Zelph to exude.

Mary: He really does for me. I thought you portrayed him in such a pure light. On to the final part of the interview, memory. When you’ve helped me brainstorm ideas for stories, you’ve suggested I look back on personal experiences then adapt them to fit the story. I know you’ve mentioned a few instances in Heroes are tied to your past. Will you share at least one example with us?

David: When I write, no one is ever just present in a scene. They have hopes and dreams and responsibilities. If I bother to put someone in the book, no matter how brief, I put myself in their shoes and think about what this person desires. I use my own experience here and tailor it for whichever person. I have met all kinds of people and colorful ones are the most fun to write about, so I always try to talk with colorful people and know what makes them tick. Then I draw on these real experiences to flesh out any scene.

Mary: Well put. Eccentric people make the most interesting characters. Sol Stein talks about this. It’s all about eccentricity in characters.

David: As for a personal experience to share? When the scouts are telling ghost stories out in the wilderness—none of those are made up—they are all my own. So the opinions mentioned on ghosts are mine. The interaction between the characters out in the woods is essentially the same as my friends and me back when we were reckless youth.

Mary: You? Reckless?

Well I promised a free book, but this is how it’s going to work. Since I’m on a one woman campaign to get as many people as possible to own a copy of your book, I’m going to be just a little bit devious. Can you imagine how?

David: I don't know what dirt you could possibly have dug up—so No, I can't imagine yet.

Mary: I’m only going to offer a free copy to those who already BUY one. Heroes of the Fallen is the type of book YOU want in your family for yourselves, your spouses, your children, your extended family, so not only should YOU own a copy, but you want to have one to give away as a gift. Trust me. I can think of at least sixty people I would love to give this book to. But this is going to work on the honor system. Comment on the interview, but you’re only in the drawing for a free copy of Heroes if you state here that you bought one. You can order HERE or else any of your local book stores can order a copy for you. David is also doing signings at the LDS Storymakers Conference April 23rd and 24th. I’ll announce the winner after I come back. I'll draw a name Monday, April 26th.

Also, for my local peeps, this can be your head start since I'm hosting book club at my house in July. Heroes is my pick.

Thank you so much for answering my questions, David! I love gaining insights from your mind!

David: You are devious, but I appreciate your faith and endorsement of the book.

Mary: But of course. So get busy, everyone. Order a book! Then be honest, and tell me you did it, so you can be in MY drawing to get another FREE copy!!

13 comments:

  1. I haven't bought one, but this is a great interview. I love reading prose that has poetry in it. And I love how David writes what he'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Aubrie, you wouldn't be disappointed if you read it. You'd love his fantasy elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Last of the Wilds by Nightwish. It has a Celtic flavor to it--my favorite music genre. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent interview, Mary and David! Have fun at Storymakers and David, I hope you sell tons of books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview! And Led Zeppelin? I like him already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the endorsement and interview, you're awesome M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this post, the last post, and checked out the book on Amazon.com. It sounds like a good read. That descriptive paragraph made me interested to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David's writing is so poetic. He is truly talented. So exciting to be connected to a group that published him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an awesome writer and interviewer, Mary. And I'm very excited to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, now. That was entertaining, both interviewer and interviewee. Nicely done, good lady and good sir!

    And, um, yeah. Symphonic metal for the friggin' win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey "M" he he. Great post! I loved getting to know you and everyone else at the conf. I'm SO sorry I didn't get to hug you goodbye! I def. want to stay in touch! I sure loved you! Good look on the rest of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great interview, M! I did buy a book and I would LOVE to give one away! I'm sure you had an awesome time at conference and I though of you a couple times while we roamed around DC. It was beautiful and inspiring! It's good to be back, though!

    ReplyDelete