Monday, April 26, 2010

Top Ten Reasons Why the Storymakers Conference Rocked

1. David Farland. David Farland, David Farland, David Farland. I got to sit at HIS table at Bootcamp and it was such a privelege to learn from THE master story creator (he looked at our first few pages and will mail back other notes shortly). He has the Guiness Book record for the longest signing on the planet and he now devotes his life to helping other writers. I got to talk with him quite a bit. His expertise ALONE makes my trip worth the cost. And his words of affirmation to my work, specifically, makes me believe I'm not insane .

2. Bootcamp. I sat with four other writers at David Farland's feet. We critiqued each other's work and learned so much. I learned just what I needed to perfect my opening pages and I pray my honest critiques of the others' work will help them improve. I only wish we had more time. 6:30 am to 10 am Friday morning and 7 am to 9:30 am Saturday morning were not enough. I also got to meet the fabulous L. T. Elliot and see Farland's reaction to her superb work. I also met three other writers and look forward to our continued communication.

3. Meeting Other WiDo authors. I got to room with Tamara Hart Heiner (you are an inspiration, woman!!!), I got to meet my good friend, David J. West. And I finally got to meet M. J. Cunningham who I can't wait to get to know better. WiDo has FANTASTIC taste in authors. These writers will do whatever it takes.

4. Pitch sessions. First I met with Kirk Shaw of Covenant Communcations, mostly to talk books. While I knew my work was too dark for Covenant, it was great to meet the person who has such similar tastes to my own. I also met with Nephele Tempest, literary agent for the Knight Agency. While I slaughtered my pitch, she still asked for my first three chapters and a synopsis, so woo-hoo!

5. The classes. My favorites? Author Sarah M. Eden's on setting and literary agent Laura Rennert's on pitching agents. I was both impressed with the class of these ladies and grateful for the knowledge I obtained.

6. The food. The Marriott has great chefs! Too bad my nerves couldn't always handle the great stuff!

7. The Whitney Awards gala. It couldn't have been better. I liked how it was very much to the point--dinner, then awards. I especially loved Dan Wells' acceptance speach for Best Novel by a New Writer. He wrote I Am Not a Serial Killer and I loved how he explained while his book is considered horror, he teaches the importance of overcoming the natural man. I was also deeply touched by both the presentation and acceptance of the Best novel of the Year award, given to David Farland (he also received the lifetime achievement award). I hate it when people say cheesy stuff like this, but I really consider him an angel on earth. He's helped more people than he'll ever know.

8. Meeting random authors. I brought my business cards, and received several others. I can't wait to get to know these authors better!! And cement the relationship many of us have begun online.

9. Dressing up. Okay, my feet have blisters, and it was a pain waking up at 5 am to do it all, but it was fun to be a "professional" for a few days.

10. Renewed motivation and direction. I knew a few things I should do to fix my latest story, but I now have the motivation to spend the time and energy to make this story amazing. Even if it takes months and months.

35 comments:

  1. Congrats on being asked for chapters for the Knight Agency! I've been submitting to them for years with just rejections. Wowee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience, made so many lovely contacts, and got and gave such helpful feedback. Knowing you, I'm not surprised that you gave and gained so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh that sounds fantastic! A positive, fun and rewarding experience! Thanks for the report!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The conference was simply spectacular. I don't think I met you, but that will be rectified next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog while blog-hopping. I just want to echo your feelings about Dave Wolverton. I attended a boot camp he held a few years ago and I can't say enough good about the man. So generous. So knowledgeable.

    I loved Storymakers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed my class, though the "gaining knowledge" thing seems a little suspect. Are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great conference. I'm going to one next month, and all the talk about this conference is making me more excited to attend.

    And you got pages requested. I'm thrilled for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aubrie, I don't know if she'll like my stuff, though. She says she hates first person present POV.

    Ann, I wish you could have gone. My list didn't give the conference justice.

    Karen, you're welcome. It really was fantastic.

    Elana, I saw you several times, but you were always surrounded by lots of people!! I'll try to pin you down. I sure could use your help on a query, though...

    Damsel, thanks for stopping by!! I'll have to go see your blog. It's so true about Dave. He's incredible.

    Sarah, I suggested your class to two other friends and they came with me. None of us were disappointed. :)

    David, I mean it.

    Theresa, I look forward to hearing about yours! Which one are you attending?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I second all of this! Actually i think I'll just copy your post and put it on my blog. It was so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! not really. i really need some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like your boot camp was amazing. I had Josi Kilpack, and it was incredible. There were so many great classes, I wish I could have taken them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a great time! I'd love to check out a writer's conference some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, I stopped by your blog. I love your pic with Josi! I'm so glad you learned so much from her.

    KM, I did. I highly recommend the LDS Storymakers one--it's not as pricey as most.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounded like a great conference. I've already read about it on several other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you on what you said! This was a great conference. I am so glad that we were able to meet and talk for awhile. :)

    ~~~~~~~~~
    Sheila Staley: Book reviewer

    Come visit me at
    http://www.whynotbecauseisaidso.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, girl, I've got a picture for you. Email me at ldswbr at gmail com so I can get it to you. It was great to finally meet you face to face. I totally agree with you about Sarah Eden's class. And the Whitneys. And meeting people. Thanks for letting me interview you, too :). Hope to see you next year!

    Shanda
    http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
    http://ldswbr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad we met! I know what you mean about Dave. I had a signing with him last Christmas. He is quite an amazing writer. I learned a lot from him. Take care and happy writing. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was so nice to meet you and Tamara at dinner! I agree, the whole conference was amazing! I LOVED the making a memorable villian class J. Scott Savage gave. He was amazing. I got to pitch Kirk too! He was a class act! I'm looking forward to seeing you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stina, thanks for stopping by! i'll got check out your place. :)

    Sheila and Shanda, you are both too fun! Thanks so much for being so fun to talk with! You ladies are doing great things!

    Kathi, WOW, what a wonderful experience, getting to sign with Dave. I enjoyed meeting you, too. :)

    Sherry, thanks for stopping by! I'll go to your place, too. I wish I could've gone to Savage's villain class--it was on my list but that's when I ended up pitching.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh oh oh! I can't wait until next year! I'm so glad you had a great time and that you know it was worth the trip! Any word on when your book will be out??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! I love great conferences like that. They are priceless. Glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience.

    Great post!

    ~Lola

    ReplyDelete
  23. Krista, I hope I can go again next year so we can meet. :)

    Karen, which ones have you attended?

    Lola, it was fun. Have you been to any conferences?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, it WON'T take you months and months because GIRL! You're a frickin' phenomenal writer! I was just blown away from your talent (and incredibly humbled, too. I seriously need to pick your brain.)

    I can't begin to describe how awesome it was to be in your bootcamp group (and learn from Dave is just word-defyingly amazing). Words? None. I can't even find a place to start. But I will say that you ROCK and I've used a lot of capitilization to prove it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. p.s. You're seriously too nice but I love ya all the same! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LT, you're such a builder. I love how you always bring everyone up. I was stoked to be in YOUR group--maybe we should do some critiquing of each other's work. Yes, seriously, I have months and months worth of work to do. The book I sampled at bootcamp has some great strengths, but it can be so much better and I really want it to get on par with where it can be.

    Remember, Wolverton said he didn't have anything to say for your second two pages!! I'm afraid I wasn't positive enough about your work. I love how your main dude is going into an arena. You have such a flowing pen. I think I was just so nervous that it cut off the nice part of my brain!! How terrible is that???

    I love your new pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, and when I said wolverton didn't ahve anything to say, I mean he didn't ahve anything to fix cuz it was so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, Wolverton's workshop group? I'm going to see if I can sign up for one of his workshops - I was so impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey, Michelle! Yeah, I wish he could go through my whole manuscript with me... in a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am glad it was great!
    You sound like me, I have to dress up for work and I cant wait to get home and shed the clothes for my jogging pants and tee shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post and Amen to all of it! I loved meeting you too. I look forward to becoming even better friends! Can't wait for our books to come out either! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mary, you're really too, too nice to me. *blush and a half* Especially after reading your stuff because seriously (and I mean it with every ounce of me) you are INCREDIBLE. Really. And I'd LOVE to read more of your stuff because it so intense and deep and just KILLER!

    And I was really nervous too. Being in Dave's workshop? Who wouldn't be?! And I was really nervous being in such a fine group of writers. You guys are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That sounds like an awesome experience! I'm a little jealous, but SO happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so glad you were able to do that--there's nothing like some good motivation!

    ReplyDelete