It's official. My book has a title:
The Ethos by M. Gray. But you tell me--what does
The Ethos mean to you? I plan on posting about Aristotelian logic sporadically across the next several months, but I want to hear from you first. What comes to your mind when you read this title? What would you like to be answered?
Mary, must be a story about ethics and trustworthiness? You have in interested. Can't wait to see the cover.
ReplyDeleteWhat comes first to mind? For me, the Greeks. I wish I could explain why though. Hmm.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me think of freshman English... my very first class at BYU. I just remember our grad student teacher trying to drill into our brain what ethos, pathos and logos meant, and at the time... totally not getting it. But I like it as your title. Very exciting. Are you officially, "M. Gray"?
ReplyDeleteI'll have to think about Ethos. Too tired tonight. Will get back to you tomorrow. Just wanted to congratulate you!
ReplyDeleteKathi, you've nailed it. I'm glad it doesn't make you think "evil." hahaha
ReplyDeleteMT, ah yeah. It's all about the greeks. I love all that greek stuff.
Nancy, freshman English at BYU is just where the spark began for this story. Yep, I'm M. Gray. That way boys will read me too.
Ann. Poor thing! Get some sleep!
I have to go with the Greeks, too. And Aristotle. But he was Greek. So maybe that's the same thing??? haha Congrats! What's the book about?
ReplyDeleteThanks, KM! OH, I need to know what I'm allowed to say!
ReplyDeleteYou're taking me back to first year Uni, and I don't know that I want to go there!
ReplyDeleteI think it's a great title. Doesn't reveal a lot, but it's catchy. I would be curious.
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
Al, I'm afraid I don't know what first year Uni is. First year at the university? Did you have just a little too much fun?
ReplyDeleteTamara, I happen to think Perilous is about as strong a title as you can get.
I thought Greek as well, or something very old. It's a very neat word that I don't hear very often, so that will make for a unique title.
ReplyDeleteI like it.
ReplyDelete*Clapping loudly* The Ethos. Conjures up an image of ethical and moral challenge, and someone to meet that challenge. I love it. *squeal*
ReplyDeletelol, you make my day Krista.
ReplyDeleteAubrie, I hope!
David, glad you don't hate it.
Exactly right, with our Aussie passion for abbreviating everything and adding "i" or "o" to the end, University instantly becomes "Uni".
ReplyDeleteI was the shy retiring type and it was a lot of effort to pretend not to be. I loved the course content though which included by the way, some classics.
Yup, I think Greek for some reason. Other than that, I have no idea.
ReplyDeleteTHE ETHOS would make me think your story has something to do with morals. With ethical behavior. ETHICS derives from the Greek ETHOS. So I think the major point of conflict would be about a moral or ethical choice for your protagonist. Probably when confronted with a tantalizing unethical choice.
ReplyDeleteI just read an article on the internet the other day - I don't remember by whom - sorry. The focus was on titling your manuscript. The writer said titles should be able to describe only YOUR story - not a whole group of like stories. Since I can't recall who wrote it, I can't tell you how much 'weight' this theory has.
I'm searching for the perfect title for mine, so I know how hard it is. Just wanted to pass that on.
I like the title. THE ETHOS makes me think of hard choices and great achievements. I'm not an expert in ancient Greek phylosophy and literature. My eldest students are. The main subjects in their course are Latin and Greek.
ReplyDeleteBut, dear M.Gray, I 'm getting more and more curious to read your novel! Have a great Sunday!
The Ethos(in a deep booming voice)sounds to me like a moral dilemma, a hint of trouble coming. Apparently I slept through English because I don't remember ever hearing it before.
ReplyDeleteHm. Ethos. Makes me word associate with "ether," and Porthos from the three musketeers. I can't say "musketeers" anymore, incidentally, without thinking of Mickey Mouse. This makes me sad. Dumas is sad too, post mortem.
ReplyDeleteAnyway. I think of ethos the same way I do about zeitgeist: one of those words I kinda know what it means, but probably couldn't define if someone asked.
It's definitely a thought-provoking title, though. :)