Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Review: I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER by Dan Wells

This book gets five stars for uniqueness. At first I didn't know hy this book was considered speculative fiction (it's nominated for a Whitney award in that category) but then Wells reveals the reason part-way through and I was tickled pink. But I don't want to spoil the book for you. I'm only going to tell you bits so this review makes sense.

John Wayne Cleaver is a fifteen year-old-boy with issues. He is obsessed with serial killers, and is convinced he's destined to become one. He also doesn't know how to empathize with others and has extreme antisocial tendencies. He tells his story in the first person point of view, and I've never read a point of view like his. F. Paul Wilson describes him best:

"Dazzling, unputdownable. The teenage protagonist is as chillling as he is endearing. More John Wayne Cleaver, please."

The kid is creepy, but for some reason we love him. He has the most violent thoughts, but creates rules for himself to keep his actions at bay. I got a kick out of what Wells said in his acknowledgments to Brandon Sanderson:

"First and foremost I must mention Brandon Sanderson, who shut me up in the car one day and told me to stop talking about serial killers and just write a book about them."

I love this. Not only is Sanderson a stud in the fiction world, but he also convinced his friend to write this incredible story. And simultaneously we're left wondering how many of Cleaver's thoughts stem from the author's. Disturbing.

The last leg of the book had wonderful tension. I ripped through the pages--I had to know how it would end. And the ending made me smile. I am terrible with endings! But Wells wrapped up his story just right and added a little jab to cause us to continue to worry for John Cleaver.

The book was perfectly constructed, the details were well flushed out, and, once again, the creepy kid's point of view was more unique than I can say.

Check it out. But it's not for the faint of heart.

18 comments:

  1. I was excited to read your review. I Am Not A Serial Killer is in it's fifth printing in Germany, and I'm happy it's finally available in the USA. Dan Wells is coming to a Spring Workshop we're having in May in Utah. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Roxy! I just stopped by your blog and I absolutely love it! I will watch for Bright Star.

    I hope to meet Dan at the Storymakers conference, but I just saw that he's on tour so I don't know if he'll be back. Which workshop is he attending in May? Not that I can go to that one too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difficult character to write! It sounds like it was perfectly done. I'll have to put this book on my list! Thanks for the reivew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm glad, Aubrie. Are you on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, M. Gray! Thanks for joining my blog. The workshop is May 15th from 9am-3pm. It is being sponsored by the League of Utah Writers. I'm still waffling on the location, but it should be in the Orem, Provo, Linden, American Fork area. The workshop is free if you're a LUW member, but the lunch is $7.00. Clint Johnson, Elana Johnson, Ben Behunin, and Angela Eschler are also scheduled to present. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been anxious to read this one! Great review... now I'm even more anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not for the faint of heart? Does that mean it's gory. I can handle intense, but I don't like gory details? For some reason this book intrigues me. I think I have a little crush on Dan Wells after hearing him at the LTUE Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not normally my genre of choice, but you make it sound compelling. Last year, I read a book that was more violent than I was led to believe from the back of the jacket - I'm wimpy. It's called The Book of Lost Things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roxy, the conference sounds fabulous. Too bad I can't afford two trips to Utah in two months from the east coast.

    Krista, can't wait to hear what you think.

    Mary and Theresa, the embalming process can make just about anyone squeamish. John explains the details of preparing the dead (his mom is a mortician and he helps). But the violent parts weren't all that gory to me. But I kind of like those types of scenes.

    The edgier stuff is from his thoughts. John has a freaky little mind and he's constantly trying to push back "Mr. Monster."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever readany books by Kathleen O'Neal & W Michael Gear?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this book a while ago (ordered it from Amazon UK) because I couldn't stand to wait for it. The sequel's already out in the UK too. (Mr. Monster.) It was such an amazing book. I read it all in one sitting and couldn't get enough of it. Dan Wells is amazing. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, Avalon. What do you recommend?

    LT, I will definitely read Mr. Monster. Glad you liked this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me think....You prefer mystery over history, correct? And vivid details (death and murder) do not bother you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, you make this sound so good. But is it creepy and nightmare-producing? Stories like that haunt me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think so, Carolina. I had nightmares after watching The Ring forever--it wasn't as bad as that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Avalon... I suppose my favorite is a combination of history AND mystery. Both of my stories have both elements. Vivid details...well I'm not a huge horror lover, but I like gritty without the stuff feeling evil. I never got into the Friday the 13th stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should try their Anasazi series which begins with The Visitant. http://www.gear-gear.com/visitant.shtml

    Read the review when you have time and let me know what you think. Do not listen to those on Amazon because it is obvious those are people who know nothing about history and want the watered down version of the past.

    I do not like gore or filth. These books are vivid meaning the authors write very descriptive, they describe in such details it is as if you are really there.

    I read all the time, countless novels and so far (in my opinion) no one can live up to the Gears, their choice of words are original and at time mesmerizing (like when describing landscapes for example).

    ReplyDelete
  18. The description sounds good, Avalon. I especially like the detail that those who lived in North America were sophisticated. We actually believe this in my religion--that the people in NA had many strong cities and were more advanced than many believe.

    ReplyDelete