Vera Figner, conspirator to Tsar Alexander II's death. Is she not smokin'? Check out her friend:

Gesya Gelfman. Executed for conspiring to kill the Tsar, but they allowed her a few months to give birth to her child.

Two lovers--leaders of the assassin band. The girl, Sophie, was known to look like a man.
Narodnaya Volya (or The People's Will, as they called themselves), executed three days after assassinating the Tsar. Wouldn't you like to know their story? What made them feel they were right?And Vera, the first girl pictured, lived. Who did she love? Why fight the Tsar? And what weapons did they use? Explosives, you say? What kind of explosives? Hmm, can't wait to read her Memoir coming in the mail, and continue writing their story as I see it in my head.
Wow - I'm interested. The second woman who they allowed to have her child is very pretty. The first woman I thought was a man and the other woman with the man is just scary, but it's all very intriguing.
ReplyDeletehahaha. Thanks for the honesty, Mary. Yeah, Gesya is super pretty, but I still root for Vera.
ReplyDeleteThey look like they have evil eyebrows! I love looking at old pictures, and I bet it's a great inspiration for your writing!
ReplyDeleteGood point, Aubrie, but you should see the other men! These eyebrows are nothing!
ReplyDeleteWhat you're doing here sounds fascinating! I'm excited to see what you end up with.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you were interested in Russian history! You should read Nicholas and Alexandra by Massie!!!! It was fabulous!
ReplyDeleteAnn, I'm glad it doesn't seem boring.
ReplyDeleteAlanna, I laughed when I saw you finished that book. I added it to my "to read" list. It sounds fantastic. I've always had a fascination with Tsars. One of the hard parts of this book is seeing it from the assassins' point of view. I really don't think Alexander was that bad of a guy, but I'm finding the things he did to them to make them hate him so badly. And since he was known as a liberating Tsar, it will help make my antagonist more round and sympathetic.
I like how Massie's book shows the greatness of the Romanovs. While it recounts the history two Tsars after Alexander, it would still be helpful. I'm also putting in a steampunk twist in mine.
Great characters! I love using historical characters in my books. They are a good anchor to keep the story moving and build fiction around. :)
ReplyDeleteSo true, Kathi. I love that you understand. :)
ReplyDeleteVery intriguing! I love the photos... that they really lived and loved and apparently hated. Cool!
ReplyDelete