Writing can be alienating. Strike that--writing with an intention to get our stuff out there can make us horribly alone. I wouldn't trade it. I love it more than I can express, but there are days it makes me a little sad. Like when suddenly you can't talk to people the way you did in the past. They know your mind is filled with your book ideas and they are kind and ask you about it, but you know they'd rather talk about something else--but they want to show they care. Which is sweet, but I feel awful for them at the same time. So I end up changing the subject after a few answers to relieve them of that care.
Someday, though, I want to have a book out there at least *someone* can love. Then we can bond over that material and I'll know the conversation is not out of duty but out of interest. That would be neat.
Not trying to be a downer--it's just been on my mind a lot. Anybody out there feel the same? And if not with writing, with something else?
That's very very exactly right on. I find it comes and goes, though, depending on what I am working on, so during the not-so-intense times, I really try to give my friends attention and leave the writing at home. Oh yeah, and my family, too, heh heh.
ReplyDeleteKrista, you're so right. It DOES come and go--today I just felt it more than usual. And sometimes it IS good to take a break, a step back. But then I just come at my writing fiercer than ever. ;)
ReplyDeleteThis post better not have anything to do with me (I know I asked you about how your book is coming along today)!! I really do want to know how things are going. I feel bad because I've been meaning to ask you about it for a long time now but keep on forgetting. I feel like I'm so absorbed with the upcoming move that I'm off in my own world too. I do the same thing sometimes when people ask me about moving.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, now people give me the "you're a little crazy but I'll humor you" look when I talk about my writing. And I can't talk about it as much with my husband because he thinks I'm obsessed. I've learned to keep it to myself and CP's.
ReplyDeleteOh, no Erica. I wasn't talking about you. You're just one of those people I completely adore and never get to talk with as much as I like. Next time we get together, I'll beg you to go on for hours about your move and I'll make you suffer through some of my book talk. :)
ReplyDeleteAubrie, hehe. Our husbands would be best friends.
I don't talk about writing or what I'm writing or have written unless it's obvious the person and I are on the same wavelength. I have a few of such people in my life, so that's great. And then I turn on the computer and find my writer friends/blogging buddies. Fun!
ReplyDeleteAnd I adored my 96 year old great grandfather! Thanks for telling me about gramps. I'll remember as I'm getting older, and older. And Jen says thanks for wishing her happy b-day.
ReplyDeleteOh cheer up, sweet girl. It is a full moon, that is all, after it passes, you will get plenty of ideas and your mind will ease.
ReplyDeleteAnn, you're more well rounded than I. I'll work on it!
ReplyDeleteAvalon, thanks lady. Just kind of a sulky night.
I know what you mean.
ReplyDeleteHaving a writing group has been a life saver. They get it! And they WANT to talk about characters and plots and writers block and editing and querying. They are experiencing the same things and what was once a solitary pursuit now feels like a collaborative effort.
I can't do it as well without feedback etc.
My experience is similar to your own, writing can be lonely. It is not something that I generally discuss at any depth with anyone apart from my other half. Other than that I talk about my writing with people who have read my MS.
ReplyDeleteJo, sometimes I'd really like to have a local writing group. It'd help take the edge off I think.
ReplyDeleteAl, that's some great restraint. Maybe I should do that. :)
Exactly. I know just where you're coming from. Usually after a few writing Q&A, I usually spout something like 'that's probably way more than you wanted to know' and move on. Every once in a while, though, someone really is interested because they write or think they might want to.
ReplyDeleteMary: Don't know if I'm more rounded than you. I think I'm just OLDER, which does make a difference in many areas of life, I'm discovering.
ReplyDeleteA local writing group would be awesome. I'd like that too. But it has to be one that's open and honest with each other, or it doesn't work, as I know from the past few I was involved in - for a very short time. It's finding that "right" combination of people.
I have my husband and one good friend that I pass things on to. It's so, so good to have someone to throw ideas around with.
ReplyDeleteOn the flip side, I find myself lost in a story line when I'm supposed to be in the middle of a conversation. I'm sure people get irritated when I continually ask them to repeat something that's just been said.
Also, writer's seem to isolate themselves, I'm sure that a writer's group would cause me more anxiety that its worth.
This feeling will pass, probably already has. Being a writer is complicated but so worth it..:) I popped over from Alexadra's and am now a follower. Happy writing!
ReplyDelete