Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Report: Part One

I head home tomorrow, but I thought I'd drop a post regarding my experiences at the Professional Novel Writers' Workshop taught by Dave Wolverton. I'll probably do a series of posts, but for the first, I thought I'd share the greatest thing I learned from Dave.

I need to rewrite my book, fragility.

He said on a line-by-line basis it flowed really well and was even struck by a lot of the language, but plot-wise I was doing too many things. Grr! After my shell-shock, I accepted what he had to say and really listened.

Apparently, I was doing too many things. A romance? Science fiction? Psychological thriller? Wolverton helped me see what I was trying to say. The genre of this book is social science fiction, and if you've never heard of that genre (like me!) think The Giver. So I'm simplifying the tale, and making it younger. That's right, folks. I'm offically writing a YOUNG ADULT book and I can't tell you how excited I am about it. My protagonist will be seventeen (yes, you heard me right. I'm accepting the age I always complain is overused) and the bulk of the novel will revolve around this logline:

"A seventeen-year-old battles with the choice of staying in a terror-inducing compound and its seductive creator or fleeing to a zombie-ridden world."

Originally, it took place during the Second Great Depression when Texas seceded from the United States, but these details kept convoluting the tale. Now I can focus on what happens when a seventeen year-old-girl suffers then triumphs over a tyrant like we've read about in the past... only creepier and sexier and terrifyingly sadistic. Before I killed him too early, then I tried infecting him in the beginning. Now he lives--healthy--for quite some time. I shall have fun with this.

13 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of my own drastic rewrite based on Dave's suggestions. Part of me is hyped, and part of me is still cringing. Good luck, and your story sounds awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the ephiphany. It sounds like you're really excited about this. :) I'm glad you had such a great and productive time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like he really helped! Good luck with your revisions. This novel sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat to get such helpful input. It will be interestingn to see what else you have to say about the workshop. Good luck with your makeover, and welcome back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like great advice. I'm glad you're going to take it.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listening to critique can be jarring, but with an open mind, that excitement about new possibilities can be an adrenaline rush! I'm excited for you, M!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least he helped and it was not a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Sounds fascinating. This sounds like a workshop I should have attended. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LeishaMaw, thanks for stopping by! Did you attend one of Dave's workshops? I'd be curious to hear about your novel and experiences. Drop me a line at ladyingray03(at)yahoo(dot)com.

    Sarahjayne, I really did! Of course I really wanted to hear it was flawless and brilliant, but that's okay. In a way, I like this answer even better cuz I get to revisit the storyline and make it stronger.

    Aw, Aubrie! Thanks!! I hope I can write it the best it can be.

    MT, I'll keep posting about my experiences. Thanks for reading!!

    Clarissa, thank you! I guess I'm learning the only way to improve is to accept criticism. It's hard, though.

    Krista, yes, the adrenaline rush. I'm feeling it, so that's a good sign.

    LOL, Avalon. It absolutely wasn't. I'll share more that I learned.

    Carol, I wish you could've gone. Google David Farland to see his other workshops. He's a master teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oo,girl, it sounds totally awesome! I can't wait to see your book with the changes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope so, Tamara! I hope I make it better!

    ReplyDelete