We as writers need to be careful. When do we seek validation? When must we endure a harsh critique? Daisies or thistles? Both are needed of course, but to get the proper balance is hard. Say you have a finished manuscript. Where do you go next? Straight to the flower shop for an armful of poppies or the butcher's to insist on casting our own heads? Is it not better to first know we haven't written something absolutely deplorable before welcoming the studded whippings of our "foes"? Or are we to the point where we know we haven't written excrement and can endure the flailings of our peers, our superiors, even our underlings?
You know, I just looked up excrement on thesaurus.com just to see if I was using the best word. Actually, I looked up "poop," but that's besides the point. Guess one of the suggestions? Meadow muffins. I rather like this term. I have never used it before, but had I used it many of you would have patted me on the shoulder and said, "Just don't try so hard, my dear." True, true. But, while this may shock you, meadow muffins is in fact the better term. How? Well, let me tell you. I spoke of flowers and thistles, and how better than to describle excrement than the meadow muffins of a field?
And so let me leave you with this thought. Run your hands along the poppies, brace yourselves for the thistles, and whether we like it or not, most of us will secrete a meadow muffin or two. But that is not to say that we won't conjure up something much better in the end. For me, it will be from the drippings of my willow--a bit of drama, but still wonderfully, art.
What will you create?
Meadow muffins! Somehow the image of those big marshmallow mushrooms in Willy Wonka came to mind! Better than poop OR thistles.
ReplyDelete;D
Lovely post, M!
Meadow muffins sounds so nice compared to poop. I'll think I'll use that from now on! As for daisies and thistles, I'd like a bouquet of both but heavy on the daises!
ReplyDeleteOh man. I gotta have some love over my WIP before I can take the criticism. Fortunately my good friend who reads everything first, is good at both.
ReplyDeleteGreat attitude...and I prefer meadow muffins to poop as well.
ReplyDeleteHmm. I use to get think all I received in the form of critiques on my books was others leaving meadow muffins all over my work. But now I see critiques as a proving ground for my work. I want my book to be the best it can be. That doesn't mean I accept each and every comment and make changes, but I do think them over seriously before I do or not do anything.
ReplyDeleteI love that term, meadow muffins. :)
This doesn't just apply to writing. It applies to life. After reading this post I did some long hard thinking / evaluating about who I choose to surround myself with. Are my friends and associates more likely to give me praise for my accomplishments or castigate me for my flaws? Is the feedback I get on a regular basis honest? Is it kind? Is it helpful? Who do I go to for an opinion when I am feeling most vulnerable? Also, when ten people tell me I'm better than sliced bread and two people find fault, which will I most likely hold on to? Definitely food for thought!
ReplyDelete