
A teen flick, a teen novel, both dealing with heavy issues. I grabbed To Save a Life from the Redbox last week. Didn't know what to expect. While, yes, some of the Christian messages are overtly cheesy, WOW, what a message every teen needs to hear. The story deals with fitting in, and what happens when you don't? One commits suicide and another is haunted by the fact that maybe he could have stopped it. Very well done. Had Grayman in tears. Several times. The protagonist did play sports, so that's Grayman's excuse.
SPEAK is a book I've had my eye on a long time. I went to the library twice to grab it and was lucky the second time. I didn't love it at first, but by the second half I just flew through the pages. A girl--the main character--doesn't talk at all to anyone. She tells her story in first person present tense (my fav!!) and doesn't tell us why she doesn't speak until halfway through. The author has a simple, writerly voice. She also got enough awards for this debut to line her rooftop. This story deals with a tough subject: rape. I thought the author handled it perfectly and by the end I felt reverance for her finesse.
I love books that deal with difficult subjects with beauty and tact. I feel like these writers taught so many great truths and I want my writing to be the same way. So if you're ever in the mood to tackle two very difficult subjects, check these stories out. I'd be curious to hear what you think.
I own Speak, could have loaned it to you. She's one of my favorite writers. It's also been made into a movie starring Kristen Stewart (Bella in Twilight).
ReplyDeleteSounds interesting
ReplyDeleteI've heard a lot of great things about TO SAVE A LIFE. My old youth pastor said what really got him was the scene were the new kids walk into the youth group and are shunned. Talk about a humbling thing for people who work in ministry. I really need to pick up this one.
ReplyDeleteNancy, I had no idea this was made into a movie and that Kristen Stewart (who I think is awesome!!) played the lead. Did you watch it?
ReplyDeleteAvalon, thanks!
KM, yeah that was a sad part. It was a wakeup call for me since I know we try to be conscious of newcomers at my church but don't always succeed.
Wow, thanks for the recommendations. They're now on my list.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to remember how I got the movie version. I think our library in Kansas had it. It's from 2004ish... very good.
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't read it yet, LOST by Jacqueline Davies is a superb YA novel handling tough, sad issues (Triangle Shirt Factory fire of 1911) with grace and power.
ReplyDeleteThese sound excellent. I'm going to put them on my list. Today I'm mailing second revisions, and then I'm FREE, for awhile, to read!! Yay. But the worst with revisions is over. Hope you're doing well too. Jen and I hope to see you before too long. The summer IS beginning to wind down. I say beginning. There are still some hot days ahead, but....
ReplyDeleteAnn
I've been wanting to read SPEAK. (Though I didn't know it was 1st person, present tense--that's what I write as well). It sounds like a powerful read.I haven't heard of the first one. It reminds me of a song called "How to Save a Life" by the Fray.
ReplyDeleteHi, Mary. I came over again to see how you're doing--and to see if my new photo comes up on your blog. I might see you soon to drop off your book. How are the mornings!? Jen and I think about you.
ReplyDeleteAnn
I thought I commented but I guess I didn't! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check these out!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. Right now I'm reading The Color of Water. It's so beautiful, yet so sad. I sit and cry as I get closer to the end.
ReplyDeleteSo, haven't heard from you in a while. What's happening with your book? Are you on Facebook? Can't find you. Let me know.
Love you!
I just wanted to stop by and say I miss your face. Hope you are well!
ReplyDelete~K