But I wanted to discuss the stakes of this book. This story is such an example of using both public and private stakes. What is at risk in the protagonist's life? Well, Marguerite fears she's lost the love of her husband forever. Her brother's life is also at stake and she sees she might save him but only at the cost of outting the public hero who saves lives from the guillotine. The public stakes? Only the entire population of the aristocracy of France. Immediately we're drawn in. We care for Marguerite and we care for hundreds, even thousands of French men, women, and children.
Second, the characters. One particular character, more like: Sir Percy Blakeney aka the Scarlet Pimpernel. How ingenious Baroness Emmusca Orczy must have been to divine such a creation. He's so appalling on the surface; a rich, lazy flourish of a man. No one would believe him to be the brave hero he truly is. And that's what makes this story so much fun! Just think how much fun the actors must have had playing such a bilateral character. How rewarding to write!
And so I look forward to finishing the book and watching the movie yet again. Has anyone seen the 1934 version with Leslie Howard? I think Netflix On Demand has that one, too.
I LOVED the movie but I've never read the book. Adding it to my list, now. Thank you for reminding me of a golden story.
ReplyDeleteOoh, I'll have to look up the 1934 one on NetFlix. I think that's the one I saw a number of years ago. Reading your lively and perceptive review has rekindled my interest!
ReplyDeleteI read the book in high school and loved it and definitely want to read it again! I remember the movie and the book being really different from each other, but still love both versions of the story.
ReplyDeleteUm, been a very long time since I read this.
ReplyDeleteMm, I love this book! And the movie, and the musical. All slightly different, but I love the characters! You're right about the stakes-- I love how they all tie together.
ReplyDeleteWe read this in high school and then got to watch the movie (Jane Seymour version). My friends and I liked it so much we rented it a couple more times and had SP parties. Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to introduce it to my kids.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the movie! I had no idea it was a book. I'll have to check it out.
ReplyDeleteI watched this movie years ago. I'll have to check it out again.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy New Year! I know I'm a little late, but hey . . . I have no excuse except I've been writing, and writing, and writing.
May your writing muse be with you. :)