I've been wanting to read this book for a very long time. The premise sounded intriguing--the title explains it well. A girl has the supernatural ability to detect dead bodies. These bodies carry an echo and that echo is imprinted on the killer.This book had just the makeup I love: suspense weaved through romance. This is the type of YA book I think sells best and I am trying my durndest to learn to write.
So what worked for me? The storytelling. Especially the first few pages. Derting had the most perfect ominous, foreboding tone that told me I was reading something good, and it set the tone for the book well.
I also really enjoyed the antagonist's point of view. Very well written and just the right amount.
Finally, the romance. There was this one part that I simply loved. Derting knows how to write about her kissing. ;)
So what didn't work for me? Sorry, Ms. Derting, but I didn't particularly like the voice. Nothing quirky, nothing dark, nothing to make it stick out for me. Also, I think too many cliches. I was suprised your editors kept them in. I'm guessing the cliches were looked at as comfortable ways to reach the YA audience, but it cheapened the voice for me. And I didn't like Violet (the protag's) friends. Jay was great, but for the entire book I couldn't figure out why she was friends with those girls.
Worth reading? Yes. A great page-turner. But I don't know that I feel the need to read the sequel. I saw Violet's power in action once and feel good with that.
*Sidenote: I was surpised that the agent for this book was Laura Rennert. Everything I've seen from this agent has been much more literary but still straddling the commercial. This book wasn't literary at all--except maybe during the romance, but that would be a stretch. But I did see on Publishers Marketplace this book sold for a "good deal." This agent is one of the best and knows a book that will sell.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the voice... I've been wanting to read this one desperately, and so my expectations are high... in fact, partially because I knew it was Laura Rennert backing it. Hm...
ReplyDeleteI have missed your reviews. I am delighted you are back blogging, even if it is only for a brief time, since the little bundle of joy will be here soon. I wish you a Happy New Year (and you know it will be, the best years are those blessed with children):)
ReplyDeleteYes, Lisa, yes!
ReplyDeleteAvalon, thank you lady. I'm trying to be honest!
Excellent review, as always, Mary!
ReplyDeleteI'm SO glad you're feeling much better. And another little BOY on the way. Are Brian and Aidan excited?
I'm glad you're settled in your new home, but sad you're no longer close enough for me and Jen to visit. But do keep in touch when you have a few moments. And definitely write!! I know this is what the creative side of you needs. You are an amazing writer with the most amazing ideas!
I love YA. I'm going to delve into this more now that my memoir is done--fifth and last revision sent to Kristine yesterday through email; we're now down to digital submissions, and the ISBNs have been assigned to the print copy and ebook. Yay!
Take care, my friend, and give those adorable children hugs from me and Jen!!!
Congrats, Ann, on the final round of edits! I can't wait to see your book in print!
ReplyDeleteMy kids actually cried when I told them I was having another boy. doh! But Brian's settled on a name for his little brother; I'm glad I came up with it first. ;)
I'll miss getting together with you and Jen. You two are very *real*.
I heard about this book and was interested in it. I'm not thrilled about hearing about the cliches in it but I wonder if I'm curious enough to give it a read, anyway. Hmmm.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on having a boy! So excited for you and your family! *hugs*
Thanks, LT! Hope your family is doing well, too. :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard a lot of good things about this one. I think I'm all YAed out for a little while though, even though I write it.
ReplyDeleteNew follower here, BTW, nice ta meet ya!