Thursday, February 3, 2011

Safety or Not

Last night I watched something that absolutely freaked me out. But only after a friend assured me it wasn't "that type" of a scary movie--you know the evil feeling ones that give you nightmares for days? This person I trust; I imagine I typically like darker things than him, so I looked forward to watching this flick.

But then I watched it. It didn't help that I was already panicked from the beginning. Perhaps it was because I'd marched upstairs and was already out of breath, heart pounding like the easily flustered seven month pregnant mama that I am. And then it started, and my heart rate didn't slow down.

At first it wasn't so bad. In fact, the soundtrack at the beginning seemed a bit over the top. I didn't say anything, but even Grayman asked, "What's with the music?"

So what was this frightening movie I saw? None other than Shutter Island. Any of you seen the show? Read the book? I planned on reading the book, but I've been a bit under the weather these past few days (maybe you can see a trend on my blogging on movies/TV shows in place of books).


Anyway, when it finished I told Grayman, "I loved the psychological thriller part (this movie really has a killer plot) but it was kinda horrible. I'm going to have nightmares tonight." And I did. All night long. Even after getting up to pee.

Yet this kills me. The movie didn't bother Grayman at all. In fact he laughed at me, saying it wasn't scary one bit. This coming from the man who tears up during football movies and can barely handle House. The guy has a goodness--can't stand anything about rape.

So why did it bother me and not him? I don't know. I don't want to spoil the story (let's just say it involves innocent kids getting hurt), but it just shows that some things are quite easily inside our safe zones while others clearly are not. Give me the zombies in Carrie Ryan's books, throw me the horrific science projects on Fringe, but don't mess with kids...

Okay, duh, I am a pregnant mom.

7 comments:

  1. I hear you. I'm the same way about kids. And that movie did give me nightmares. Not the creeptastic kind but the hurt-kids kind. The kind you hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For real. Anything about kids is off limits. Hope you don't keep having nightmares! That's the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I had no desire to see this movie. Of course now, I'm thinking about it. What is wrong with me? I probably won't, but I'm going to look up the trailer.

    Glutton for punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what's the update, lady? anything exciting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't handle abuse in any form. Maybe because I can't convince myself that it's just a movie or a book. Zombies, no problem--you just don't run into them in the real world even if you try. Abusers are the real monsters and they're out there lurking. That's why they're so scary. Especially for a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen and I are hooked through Netflix on a BBC long running crime series A Touch of Frost. Jack Frost is the detective! I think I'm half in love with him; in real life he's my age (sigh, he's married and lives in London). We love the segments we've seen so far. But the ones that involve abused/murdered children really are painful to watch. To me and Jen, innocent children suffering is the worst thing of all in this life! So I relate to what you say here. Don't think I want to watch or read this one!

    Only two months to go with your pregnancy. Hooray! I always found the last months to be the most difficult psychologically. Just seemed like the nine months were never going to end! But I'm so glad you're nearing the end, which means an adorable little boy to add to your other adorable children!!

    ReplyDelete