Monday, February 28, 2011

A Very Bleary Gong Show

I've considered writing about this, but stopped myself--repeatedly--because who wants to talk about something painful/disheartening/whiny/perhaps to many of us mortifying. But. I need to post something, express myself, and speak to you, dear readers, who, like me, are working their fannies off to land an incredible agent. And those of us trying to accomplish this feat know the process can be... hard.

*Disclaimer: Yes, the priority is writing a great book. Yes. Yes. I agree with your reminder. Thanks!*

But then an agent I greatly respect wrote up a note on this issue--an event, actually--and I've taken courage from her sympathy. Here is the link: http://agencygatekeeper.blogspot.com/. And though this particular agent prefers to remain anonymous on her blog, we attended the same writers conference this weekend and participated in the same big event: The Gong Show.

What is this? The Gong Show allows writers to submit queries (anonymously) to a panel of agents who hit a gong when they would stop reading. Most of the queries barely made it past two or three lines. After attending The Gong Show the first day and seeing a few requests for manuscripts, I took heart and submitted my newly polished query for the second event. All other classes were cancelled for this second Gong Show and approximately 350 people packed into one room, many of us on edge, eager to laugh at a silly word or turn of phrase. And we know what crowds are like: laughter is contagious.

Now. This was a learning experience. This was valuable. I think I learned a great bit. But what happened when they read my query? They didn't get past two lines. This is how it went:

Reader: Mind control is typically left to the vampires, angels, and immortals, but in Olivia's world it's the power of Aristotle's descendants--the Ethos, Logos, and Pathos--who persuade others through morality, logic, and emotion.

Two agents: *GONG!*

Agent #1: Vampires! No more vampires!

Another agent: But it said it's NOT about vampires.

Agent #1: Well then I don't appreciate it that they used that word just to peek my interest. That's a turnoff.

Reader (continuing query): Olivia loves causes. So much that her idea of ecstasy is donating blood--

Another agent (who previously correctly said the story wasn't about vampires): *GONG!* Okay, I've donated blood maybe hundreds of times and that is not my idea of ecstasy!

Crowd: *Peels of laughter*

And, because three agents hit their gongs, they moved on to the next query.

Now. Did I learn something? Yes. Some agents cannot bear to hear the "v" word, no matter the context, no matter that I was showing that I understood where in the market my book stood and how it varied from the others. Also, some agents can be immediately turned off by character descriptions they cannot personally understand. (Though, that is what makes Olivia different. She loves donating blood. She's obsessed with philanthropy... but I guess this particular detail did not impress this agent.)

So I cried. A lot. Frustrated? Ha! It wasn't like I've worked on this story/query/pitching for the past three years. I haven't invested anything in it. I didn't work on that first line for months. I haven't stayed up late at nights doing everything I can to perfect this story/pitch. Three years? Who cares! It's nothing, right?

And now reading over this little instance I immediately think, "Mary, lighten up. It was one little instance. Who cares!"

Yet I am wounded. Will I bounce back? Yes. But yesterday, while driving home, I must honestly admit I truly believed I possibly would not. I'm about to have my third kid; I should've taken up scrapbooking, something less frustrating when little ones won't sleep.

Yet the conference was great; I made three new friends. Local friends at that. But this (and a few other instances at the same said conference) did test my endurance. I never truly understood the cliche of standing in front of an audience naked until yesterday. NOW I know.

Whaddya think--will it make me a richer, deeper person? Of course, of course. If I take this in stride, of course it will. But this is tough. Finding an agent may never happen, yet writing is what I love to do most.

So, what say you, dear readers? Have you ever experienced something like this? Yes, I know I'm probably overreacting. (Please don't point that out in your comments. I haven't quite hit that step in my reaction process yet.) So tell me what you think of this event. Is it worth the pain?

15 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie. I know exactly how you felt.

    Picture me at the Pikes Peak Writers Conference (my first con ever) a couple years ago. I attended a panel where my first page was read out loud to a room full of people with one uber agent, an amazing editor (who I'd love to have some day), and a published author. I was certain everyone in the room could hear and feel my heart pounding as the volunteer read the opening 16 lines of my MS.

    They hated it.
    All three of them.
    They had no idea what was going on, couldn't pronounce my title, thought my MC was in some kind of torture camp, said I used like 5 metaphors on the first page and each book is allowed 2 max, etc etc.

    I was SO UPSET, but I realized they did have valid points and man, has my opening changed drastically since then. And for the better.

    So I totally know how devastating an experience like that can be. BUT, as the cliche promises: what doesn't kill us will make us stronger. ;)

    I'd love to help with your query if and when you're ready. I'm no expert but I've learned a few things and def think I could offer some helpful "fresh-eyes" advice.

    Hang in there and don't let this discourage you from querying! Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten creamed many times, both in fiction and poetry workshops (and once from a very honest friend) when I was getting my MFA at George Mason University. But I'm glad I got honest criticism. Otherwise, I likely would have kept making the same "mistakes, and kept sending out the not so good stuff. Over the years, I've never stopped writing, not just poetry and stories but other kinds of writing as well. However, now, as I'm getting older, I realize that in the eternal scheme of things, all of this writing I've done, the good and the not so good, isn't going to matter much, if at all. Do keep writing, Mary, but enjoy those sweet little children and your wonderful husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that query, and I'm sorry. Mine was never read, but I thought the same thing while driving home. That maybe I should give it all up. (I used to love scrapbooking!) It's definitely not easy, but don't give it up. And email me if you'd like a private whine, because I know how it feels to be working 3 years to make your story perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, you wrote just what I needed to hear. I'm sorry they didn't get to yours, but then again, maybe that's a good thing!! I seriously feel like this was nightmare caliber!

    I'll check out your blog. Thanks for stopping by!

    Karen, your experience sounds oh so awful! I'm so sorry! But way to take it in stride. As for the query... I'm not sure if I want to work on it more. I HAVE had several requests so I know it's not complete trash. I think.

    Ann, I'm impressed you got your MFA. Maybe in another life I can get one too?? hehe. Thanks for reminding me of my sweet husband and kids. They truly are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a lot of us have been there. It's mortifying and feels like you are being disemboweled with a hot poker, but your innards grow back and your writing improves. I know mine has, and now I wear heat resistant clothes to conferences. Hang in there, it will get easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right--heat resistant clothing. Brilliant, LeishaMaw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agents receive hundreds of queries a day, so I sympathize with the situation they are in. They must try to judge an entire work based on a single query letter. And it sounds like many of these agents judge an entire work based on 1-2 lines.

    However, if agents think they can do this, they are up in the night. It’s a broken system. There are books that are well written, and would be well received, that get rejected multiple times, by agents who know their stuff. Put simply, agents often get it right, but often get it dead wrong. Examples of books rejected dozens of times: Diary of Anne Frank, Dr. Seuss books, Twilight, Harry Potter, Watership Down, Dune, Carrie, and the list goes on.

    The more and more I read, the more I am intrigued with e-books and self-publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And also, you need an email button. Email me, please! kate (at) katrinapalmer (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Marion. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, this is what I must keep telling myself. They just don't know what they're missing. :)

    Kate, emailing you now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do NOT think you're over-reacting. It's devastating to have your baby rejected. I had a similar situation, though not as many people. After it was over, they announced we could pick up our stories with notes on them. I was so ashamed I left mine on the table. Later I wished I hadn't.

    But it does grow you as a writer and you realize that you can rise up from that dark place and be better. Kudos to you for daring to put it out there!My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could totally envision my own emotional collapse at them gonging over the first line of my query, so I decided not to take the risk. Maybe you didn't imagine it ahead of time, so fear didn't hold you back. It sounds like it hurt just the way I thought it would. But you learned some things about your query. I did not. I'm left wondering about my first line. Would they have given me the triple gong at the word zombie, or no? Now I'll never know.

    Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it's worth the pain. Feelings come and go, but useful information, that's forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had instances in smaller venues but the feelings were the same non the less.

    Awesome oozes from you. I feel it and so will others :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, you are very brave. I did a reading of a scene from a novel for a large group of women, just for a talent show. I'm not sure I've ever been more nervous about something in my life. I can only try to imagine what I would have felt like if I had been reading for criticism and a gong. HOLY. CRAP.
    Love you, sweetie. Hang in there. You're a little bit stronger now, even if you don't feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so impressed with you stepping up to bat, Mary. I would have cried, too. But you're so brave for doing it! I can't imagine how intimidating that would be! I'm glad to know about the partials and the excellent pitch session. I know good things are coming your way!

    ReplyDelete