Mmm. I just finished WITHER. A gorgeous cover for a gorgeous book. It's dystopian fiction at its best. I've found I frequently don't care to continue a series after the first book but for this story I will read the second and the third. The writing is deliciously horrific.I saw DeStefano was only 25 at the time of this book deal; she has some incredible expertise at such a young age. I noticed she studied creative writing in college. If I could go back in time that's what I would do.
The settings and dress are lush, the dialogue crisp yet beautiful and the story's pacing is enviable to someone who's always struggled with the task. It's literary and commercial yoked as one, and sweet and painful romance that will keep me reading into the next books!
Here's the blurb from Goodreads:
"Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive. A dystopian fantasy series starter with wings. Editor's recommendation."
You're back!
ReplyDeleteI am! How are ya, Kate?
ReplyDeleteI'm great. How are you? How's the new little one?
ReplyDeleteHe's good! Four months and a thumb sucker. My six year old and three year old fight over his attention. My easiest baby. :)
ReplyDeleteI love thumb suckers--they are so content. My oldest was a thumb sucker--so cute! I tried to make the others, but it was a no go. Anyway, one day when she was about 14 months, she stopped sucking her thumb ALL ON HER OWN so don't let people freak you out about how bad it is to make them stop.
ReplyDeleteHey Mary! *waves*
ReplyDeleteI also LOVED WITHER!! And I can't wait for the sequel too!
Glad to know we have similar tastes! :D